Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Left my Ipad on the plane……
  • smogmonster

So i’ve flown out to Spain with the family this morning, and ive managed to leave my Ipad in the seat pocket. What do i need to do now? Ive contacted Easyjet, who advised i contact Menzies Aviation…presumably they do the ground handling stuff for them. No word yet. The Ipad is protected..i presume…as it requires my finger print to access it. Ive done the lost Ipad message if it gets to connect to an unsecured wifi network. How safe is it? Do i wipe it remotely so that its blanked if it does connect to a wifi signal? I dopubt i’ll get it back, which is a sickener, but i am worried about the fact it has my paypal, bank, etc and all that kind of stuff available on it.

ourmaninthenorth

Remote wipe it.

Claim on your insurance.

bensales
    Free Member

Yep, remotely wipe it. You’re never going to see it again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was your ‘work’ backed up remotely?

Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink.

Good luck though. You never know!

andyrm
    Free Member

You’ve got decent odds TBH.

Cabin crew do a sweep of the plane on every turnaround, any lost items are documented with seat number and handed off to ground handling with a signature at every handover point.

You need your seat number, flight number and to allow c48 hours to allow ground agent paperwork to be back in the office and then you’ve got a fighting chance.

nickjb
    Free Member

Fly Ryan Air next time. No seat pockets. Hth.

smogmonster

Andyrm, that is music to my ears and is what i was hoping to hear. I’ll give it a couple of days and see what happens.

jonnyboi

If you are really worried then turn on two factor authentication where you can and update your passwords

seosamh77
    Free Member

The Ipad is protected..i presume…as it requires my finger print to access it

Just the 5,624 fingerprints you’ve probably left on your device! 😆 I’m sure it’ll be impossible to crack.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is find my iPad switched on ?

As above you have a fighting chance. If iPad security is switched on (and it sounds like it) the device is useless to someone without the PIN number. They can’t just “reset” it

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Is find my iPad switched on ?

As above you have a fighting chance. If iPad security is switched on (and it sounds like it) the device is useless to someone without the PIN number. They can’t just “reset” it

Seems easy enough. Does the “security” disable this ability?

https://support.apple.com/en-za/HT204306

If it’s got an imei number you could probably brick it with that(dunno if an ipad will), but even that’s just in the country of origin, phones etc will work abroad with blocked imeis, as far as I know(I only know as I googled it out of curiosity a few months ago).

I’d say data on the device if probably secure, but that’s probably because no-one else really cares about it.

Might get it back off the airline mind you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@seaso the original owner can do that IF they have synched the device to THEIR iTunes. A random 3rd person who buys / knicks the device CANNOT. That’s my understanding anyway

seosamh77
    Free Member

dunno, just curious as to the security, I’ll bow to your up to date knowledge. I’d an old mac with 10.4 on it that i’d to “crack” the password on a few weeks ago, it was hilariously easy, random install disk put in, change password, break the keychain, sorted. An old OS, aye, still thought it was hilarious though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@seaso the original owner can do that IF they have synched the device to THEIR iTunes. A random 3rd person who buys / knicks the device CANNOT. That’s my understanding anyway

You’ve obviously never been to the the barras Jamba….

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆

vinnyeh

One of the kids did the same on a flight, we got it back no problems -procedure is as Andyrm says, apparently very little forgotten stuff ‘disappears’. IIRC there’s a company contracted to the airport who will handle lost and found for that airports cleaners- cost us around £50 iirc to get it recovered from France.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Youngest left a Nintendo on a flight back from the US a few years back and it never surfaced.
    Good luck to the OP for a better outcome!

mrmoofo

You may find you are not covered for iPads / iPhones on travel insurance. It is very common and most people over look the issue …

bikebouy
    Free Member

If “find my iPad” is switched on you could always watch the next flight path of the jet in real time…. could be interesting.

hammerite
    Free Member

Jnr also left his Nintendo DS on a plane. We made a few phone calls and discovered that it had been taken off the plane and left at the airport. On our return a few days later we stopped by to collect it, but they couldn’t find it. We left them to find it for a bit but then were in danger of missing our flight so told them we had to go. We were sat on the plane when we saw a guy pegging it across the runway to where the plane was standing, he’d found the DS and made Jnr’s day. Top work Grenoble (probably helps that it’s a tiny airport).

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Daughters left her iPad on our outward flight so hoping it gets handed in. If it does get handed in then you’ve a good chance of getting it back. If whoever finds it knicks it then obviously not. Mate of mine left his wallet on a plane a few years ago and got it back no problems.

The might if the US intelligence service can’t crack apples security so I think you’ll be fine. If you can remote wipe then best to do it I would think.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I have had god success flying out of Gatwick to Nice with my Android tablet on EasyJet they brought it back to the UK and kept it for me.

tinybits
    Free Member

My iPad was ‘found’ on a flight into France on Flybe, I sent a message to the iPad from my phone saying please call my mobile number, 2 days later, the phone rang whilst in a ski lift queue. I picked up my iPad at the airport on the way home, no issues at all.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Left my Ipad on the plane……’ is closed to new replies.