Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Left money in a cash machine
  • tiggs121
    Free Member

Last night I walked off taking my card but not the money from a cash machine.
    Will the ATM take the money back if it’s nnt collected after a certain time or am I £100 down?

cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shallows it back in after 30 secs, maybe less.

righog
    Free Member

I did the same thing recently.

I went to my bank and told them, you will need the bank and location of the ATM you left the money in. If the money has been stolen you lose it, if like in my case it gets sucked back in the machine you will get it back in 12 days, but this does not happen automatically you need to inform your bank. It is easier if the ATM is from the same bank as the card, but you should get the money whatever the card ATM combination is.

redmex
    Free Member

Ive done it felt a right tit phoned up my banks security squad and did get it back a few days later. They told me on average 30 cases a day so we are not alone. It was 200 in my case now take out small cash and concentrate as its so easy to do. There should be a security camera pointing at it but they are often useless

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I did it about 10 years ago at a busy garage on the A40 into London. I was convinced someone must have pinched it and as it was only £20, I didn’t bother calling my bank as I felt it was just my bad. It was shown as gone from my account so I just put it down as a life lesson.

About 2 years ago, I received a letter from my bank saying that they had done an audit and it had come to light that this happened and the machine did take it back in, but it wasn’t credited to my account, so they gave me back £20 plus 8 years interest!

Make sure you call them and get it back now.

Drac

I did it last year. The ATM will have a phone number to ring on, call that and tell them the details they will check the records, I had the money back into my account the same day.

poolman
    Free Member

Easily done, i did it last year and a chap ran up to me to give me the 140e. 2 years ago we were in formentera and the girl in front left 200e, so we chased after her.

You have to concentrate.

breadcrumb

I did the same about 12 years ago.

I was distracted when a seagull had a massive shite down my back.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Every day is a school day, did not know that 🙂

Had a machine fail to give me the money and got that recredited after a 2 week “investigation”

BTW if you take someone else’s money that’s theft as lady in a shop found out recently adter she picked up a £20 left by someone. CCTV was checked and she was prosecuted for stealing

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Done it twice in the last year, once on a machine inside a branch.

Went back in and spoke to the person at the “help” desk … they were close to useless and certainly didn’t have the advice that Drac just gave.

Luckily it wasn’t much and I put it down as Idiot Tax…. again

Gary_M
    Free Member

It was 200 in my case now take out small cash and concentrate as its so easy to do.

You have to concentrate.

How do you people function day to day, you don’t have to concentrate that hard to complete a task surely? 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for the £100.

Next time make it £500, ta.

I was £10 short when I checked what the machine gave me. Luckily the bank was open so went in to complain. They turned it off and after a few minutes showed me a mangled tenner covered in oil.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Arrived in Mexico a few years ago. Took out some money but walked off without the card as money comes out first there. Had to spend the next few weeks borrowing money or not buying anything. I left money in Tesco Brixton’s cash machine, a lady gave it back to me in the supermarket.

nickc

I chased a woman down the road once waving a wad of cash that she’d forgotten to collect, I didn’t count it, but it was a wad of twenties, easily a couple of hundred

gobuchul
    Free Member

I did this a few months ago.

Didn’t report it and it was automatically credited back to my account a couple of days later.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I read somewhere once that there was a scam related to this where people would withdraw a large amount of money, then when it was dispensed they would carefully take the middle notes out, leaving the top and bottom ones in place.
    This then triggered the machine to suck them back in after a while presuming the whole lot was still there. They’d then ring the bank and complain and get the full refund!
    I think they were caught after they did it a few times and the bank noticed a pattern.

theotherjonv

BTW if you take someone else’s money that’s theft as lady in a shop found out recently after she picked up a £20 left by someone. CCTV was checked and she was prosecuted for stealing

I read that too, and it’s not quite as simple as described – seems she had a pretty good idea that it had been recently dropped and didn’t make any efforts (such as asking at the counter) to see if she could find the loser.

“A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as dishonest… if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps.”

Hence; if you found a £20 on the street with no-one else around you could justifiably assess you had no chance of finding who’d lost it, and just pocket it. If you found cash in an ATM shortly after the person in front has walked away and kept it, that would be theft. And if you found £50K in used notes in a jiffy bag in the street with no-one else around, reasonable steps would be different to what you might consider reasonable steps for the lost £20 above; ie: you should hand it in to the police and if they can’t find the owner in due course you’d get it back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39130530

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Need to check. A few years ago, I tried to get money out of the cash point at Barclays in Farnham. No money came out. I checked with my bank and the debit had been recorded. Barc tried to fob me off with the idea that my account would be credited in a few days.

I had a ding dong with manager in the middle of the branch and several others joined me, including a very stroppy pensioner, until the manager eventually and reluctantly agreed to give me the money in cash! It was all quite surreal

vongassit
    Free Member

This happened to me & after going into the RBS branch they told me there was nothing they could do as I was with the Bank of Scotland. The Bank of Scotland told me there was nothing they could do as it was an RBS cash point. 7 years later I got a letter out of the blue telling me that they had found my money!

£60+ interest.

lukeekulluke
    Free Member

I left £50 in a machine in the middle of Liverpool St Station at rush hour. There was a queue behind me. Curiously noone grabbed me and let me know, but also noone took the money as it was re-credited to my account without me doing any thing!!!

jonnyboi

I thought you had to remove the cash before it spat your card out?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I did it years ago (10+). It’s was £100 and as an impoverished student meant a lot.

I contacted my bank the following day (Monday). They said it would be credited within the 10 working days if the machine count corroborated it. It did and it was.

Not all is lost.

@jonnyboi

Not in the UK. Card then cash.

It’s cash then card in Thailand. I think I’m on my 4th debit card in 3 years as you take the cash, walk away and turn back just in time to see the card being swallowed…

gonzy
    Free Member

happened to me about 15 years ago at a Halifax ATM. the card was a Halifax account and it was only £20. the card came out and the screen said take your card your cash is being counted but the card came out really slowly and then needed a good pull to get it out of the slot. by the time i’d wrestled it out and put it back in my wallet the machine had sucked the money back in.
    it was outside the branch and i went in to explain what had happened and they said it was fine…the money would go back into my account…i’m sure i could hear them sniggering as i left.

DezB
    Free Member

Agree with Gary_M!

Old bloke left money and wandered into Tesco Express. I shouted after him and he was deaf 😆
    This is me –

but I gave him his dosh.

nealglover
    Free Member

The exact opposite, as it happens 🙂

PJ266
    Free Member

The exact opposite, as it happens

Except in some countries, where it is cash before card.

This caught three of us out in Bali in the space of a week, all walked away with cash in hand but card left in the machine. All handed back to us by friendly people.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Got £200 back a few years ago, a bit of a process but it worked.

tiggs121
    Free Member

An update – called my bank and they have started an “investigation”. Apparently the machine logs all activity and unless someone has got to the ATM within 30 secs the money should be safely taken back in.

Meanwhile my bank have refunded my £100 until the investigation (max 12 days) in complete. If the money was stolen they will debit my account.

As has been said – every day is a school day!

Drac

All that without shouting at the bank staff until they pay you to leave.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Many years ago on the Tuxedo Princess in Glasgow I took some cash out but there was a problem with the machine and although it dispensed the money, the machine thought it hadn’t so it didn’t debit my account!
    I had a few goes on that and then told my friends so they could have a go!
    I think it turned itself off after a while.

maccruiskeen

I met a guy once who used to service cash machines. There was a certain make/model at the time that he worked on that if you requested a large sum you could pull the middle notes out and leave the top and bottom one in place and the machine would then swallow those two notes back up again thinking it had the whole lot. It didn’t count the money back in. Thinking all the money had been returned it credited the whole withdrawal back to the account.

These machines were all over europe so he’d fund his holiday spendies with free money

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Left money in a cash machine’ is closed to new replies.