Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Leeds To Liverpool by canal
  • meehaja
    Free Member

CX bike or mountain bike. I’m leaning towards CX, but think P7 might be more comfy (although it is a 2×9 so no big ring?)

Thoughts? (riding with a mate who will probably be on a 5?)

Garry_Lager

Only done about half of it Liv – Blackburn-way and the CX bike was fine. It is hard-going in parts, though, particularly if it’s been wet. You get out in the sticks and the tow path is a muddy line on a grassy bank. Dry spell might make a big difference.

simondbarnes

CX

taka
    Free Member

if your mates on a 5 the p7 would mean your not racing off ahead all of the time unless he’s like a whippet… 8)

meehaja
    Free Member

He’s not ridden for 2 years, his 5 lives in my basement! I’m thinking CX might be the way forward then!

bradley
    Free Member

meehaja perhaps invest in an electric bike for him if he hasn’t ridden in 2 years. How far is Leeds – Liverpool?

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s about 130 miles as far as I can remember !

Good luck for a bloke who’s not ridden for 2 years.

takisawa2

Did 30 miles around B’ham canals on Firday, with some (mostly non-biking) friends from work. Have to say, my SIR.9 was very very comfy, but singlespeed was a daft idea. Spent most of the 2.5hrs spinning like a hamster. 130 miles, on a Five… 😀

chestrockwell

I live in Skipton and often have a blast down the towpaths (10miles or so either way). They’re quite rooty and rough in places so I’d probably go for the P7.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Put your mate on the CX and you ride the P7? Might even it out a bit if he’s out of practise. That is a long way.

jwmlee
    Free Member

I have ridden the section from Leeds to Gargrave many times.

You can do it on a CX bike but I would take a hard tail mainly because it will be more comfortable on some of the single track sections.

martinhutch

Another vote for the hardtail. Rooty and bumpy in places out near the Dales. Manageable on the CX though.

A bit of dry weather in the run up will also help – they turn pretty heavy going in places after significant rain.

carlosg
    Free Member

I did Liverpool to Leeds about 5 years ago with a mate , For the most part the path is really well surfaced apart from a stretch by Gargrave which is grass and saps the energy you thought would get you to Leeds. It took us 12 hours of riding (14 including breaks).

It was the hardest thing I’ve done in 1 day on a bike , my perineum had a patch of worn skin which became a blister despite the copious amounts of vaseline I’d been using , but it was for charity and we raised nearly 2K between us so I guess it was worth it.

I used a GT I-drive my mate was on a Pace RC200.You’d probably get away with a CX bike IMO.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Your mate is really going to struggle doing 130 miles if he hasnt ridden a bike in 2 years, especially having to do it on a 5.

Dont expect more than 8 mph avg on an mtb if he’s not to blow up. Which way are you going to do it Liverpool to Leeds will be much quicker (the majority of the time) due to prevailing winds.

federalski
    Free Member

Ouch.
    Your mate is brave, brave, brave.
    Not cycled for 2 years and taking on 130 miles on a Full Sus !
    Sometimes the best way to do these things is just to stumble into them though…
    Set off early and good luck.

Garry_Lager

Split it in two surely. Unless your mate used to be really good, he’s not going to do 130 miles off road (albeit easy off-road in the main) in a oner – his aris would be a warzone.

Two days easy riding no sweat.

project
    Free Member

All down hill from the locks at the old tate and lyle refuinery site.

From ormskirk to liverpool its mostly a good surface,the bit around old roan is closed as its being resurfaced a few days ago, a few resrtictors from aintree into the pool, some great industrial buildings etc.

drain

Did it Liv-Lds on a rigid (carbon forked) Moto Rapido with 2.1″ Racing Ralphs, just enough traction in several places as it was very wet (biblical downpour for the first 6 hours…) whereas some mates on semi slicks were all over the place.

If dry though you could get away with pretty much any tyre tread but suggest a bigger volume than a CX 35mm would be comfier over the course of 130 miles.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Leeds To Liverpool by canal’ is closed to new replies.