• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Leeds, living and riding therein
  • MrAgreeable

A big old relocation is on the cards for us, thanks to the missus landing a research job at Leeds Uni. I’m guessing a fair few of you live there or nearby, so what’s it like, and where’s the decent riding?

We’ve already had the rundown on “good” and “bad” areas, so I’m more interested in favourite places, local riding spots, good bike shops and the like.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Northwest, basically. Otley, Guiseley, Yeadon, Horsforth, Menston, Bramhope etc. Further east you go, the hills flatten out and turn to clay

Otley not on a train line. Horsforth on the Harrogate line. Guiseley, Menston, Burley in Wharfedale, Ben Rhydding & Ilkley on the Wharfedale line.
    Just south of Guiseley is Baildon – great village but because it’s in Bradford it’s quite a bit cheaper. I like it here. Loads of great trails on the doorstep

Chevon Cycles in Otley, All Terrain in Saltaire

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Bloody marvellous place to live.
    Northwest Definitely. It’s a bugger to get south, sometimes, but on the plus side, 90 mins to windermere early in the morning.
    john_drummer has it right on the places.

Although, you can only move to Ilkley if you pass the residency test… 😉

LBS: Ilkey Cycles, Chevin, All terrain.

Riding? Lots of XC routes. Stainburn has bouncy bouncy down the hill stuff.
    Gisburn not too far away.

sheeps

Definitely helps to be on a train line into Leeds if your working in town/uni. Traffic commuting in is horrendous.

Edit: Sorry, no biking advice there. John has it covered

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

We relocated to Huddersfield area, wife works in Leeds.

Dead easy 20min train journey.

So there’s more options available than just the north west of Leeds.

The Peak District is about a mile from my house, so you can imagine there’s a fair bit of riding round here.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have family who live there and two daughters went to Uni there. As above I’d think about commute first, train, bus, car or even bike. Family live in Halton which seems decent enough suburban living if a bit bland close to city centre. The romance of a stone Yorkshire cottage outside the city means a long commute. The student areas around the Uni are a bit grubby but there are some nicer 30’s houses tucked away and where my kids lived was a mix of students, long standing Yorkshire locals and more recent citizens

Riding Dales to North, Lakes to North West and Dark Peak to the South.

MrAgreeable

Ta all. Looking for a bike/train commute if possible so that would seem to narrow it down a bit.

As riding goes, is there anything you can bike to from the city? We’re in Bristol at the moment which has decent trails 15 minutes from the centre, and that’s definitely something I’ll miss.

igm

There’s trails in the city, not outside, if you look hard.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

long standing Yorkshire locals and more recent citizens

A very interesting combination 😆

ahsat

Mr_Agreeable – hello *waves*

We are also relocating to Leeds for my new Fellowship at the Uni. What dept is your other half going to be in?

I started a thread (ago while back) when I was applying for the post, with more recent updates, which some very kind people on here gave lots of useful info.

We are moving in mid-August. Still yet to find a house to buy! We have decided to both be within riding distance to work (the Uni and Bramley) and after a few visits currently prefer the expensive N/NW Leeds, but are keeping options open due to the cost of housing!! Need to sell our house in the NE first….damn it!

Really like Baildon, but decided having to change trains just made it more complicated! Menston and Guiseley still on the radar for 15-20 min train ride, but prices not really different to NW/N Leeds and £130 a month in train fare! We binned Otley off as an idea as well due to the length of the bus journey during rush hour (my bad back wouldnt be happy!). Think we decided to be a bit more in the city to ride to work, but then be able to cycle from the door a bit further at the weekend, or just put the bikes in the van and escape. Spend more time going to work than doing the latter in reality!

It looks really exciting, but imagine like you guys feel, also feels a bit of a hassle!

If you guys are buying, you’ll be laughing from Bristol prices – from Newcastle it was a major shock!

MrAgreeable

*waves back*

What dept is your other half going to be in?

Engineering I think. It’s at the hippyish end of the spectrum though (water use and climate change) so I’m not entirely sure.

Cheers for the link, I’ll have a read…

ahsat

Sounds like she and I should chat at some point – I am going to be in Earth and Environment doing sea level and climate change!

Good luck with the move!

crankboy
    Free Member

trails of a sort in leeds , from headingly out through hawksworth estate to airport across to goldenacre park then down meanwood valley is nice , as are the loops round Harewood, or Gledhow valley and roundhay park which can be linked out to harewood.

then you have stainburn and gisburn a short and less short drive away.

sboardman

We live pretty much in the city centre.

Riding from the door isn’t too bad all things considered. Out west along the canal to get to more interesting spots (35 mins to Calvery, 1 hr to Bingley, Baildon etc). Or a short drive up towards Harewood for some alternatives.

The city itself is great. Loads going on, great indie food scene, music is probably pretty good too. The Uni campus is nice for a city centre one and only ~15/20 min walk from the station.

jakd95
    Free Member

@ahsat – Are you doing any teaching? If so there is a good chance you’ll end up lecturing me next year!

Good luck to both of you in the move.

ahsat

@ahsat – Are you doing any teaching? If so there is a good chance you’ll end up lecturing me next year!

I expect so – possible the first year Quaternary ice age environments module and maybe the 2nd year mapping trip to Assynt. All to be confirmed though!

Which degree programme are you on?

Cowman

I live in NW Leeds, I have slowly been putting together a website of rides, that has some routes near where I live. May help if you move there.

http://brigantes.at/North_Leeds.html

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cowman – Those routes look good for giving ideas, but boy do they keep you off the good stuff, then again I guess you can not always link the good stuff…

Cowman

No

I had a long think to myself about non permissive ways and thought that was not where I wanted to go with the website. As I hope that the website will develop for those working with groups and clubs more I thought I can not have routes linked that a group may not be able to ride.

MrAgreeable

Cheers Cowman. Seems sensible to keep the unofficial stuff out of the public domain.

ahsat

Agreed – thanks Cowman. Thats a great place to start.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Leeds, living and riding therein’ is closed to new replies.