Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Leeds folk – area advice please.
  • bearnecessities

Off to look at a house at lunch: closed bids process which ends tomorrow.

Thing is this area mapped below (in Tingley) is oddly cheap; ex council houses and busy traffic, which is fine by me and having driven through, it looks fine to me and my budget….but is it rough as hell?

Ta

duffle
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say rough as hell at all but a few miles away it does get worse but Rein road is reasonably expensive for the area though to be fair the houses are some what grander. Whether it’s a concern or not the high school up Rein Rd – Woodkirk is the better one out of the three in Morley and has been consistently for a number of years. Oh though on a slight downward note the Bulls head is a Sam Smiths pub!!!

woody2000

The proximity to the M62 would put me off, it’s noisy as ****! Where do you have to get to for work? Traffic is pretty bad round there, and despite “improvements” the 62 is still a car park most of the time 🙂

jaymoid

I wouldn’t class it as too rough, it looks like the exact place where my friend used to live. He liked it, and only moved out to move in with his partner.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Have you looked at the New Build properties around Lowry Road/Bradford Road?

edlong
    Free Member

It’s not bad there – I reckon it’s far enough away that you won’t hear the motorway, maybe depending on which way the wind’s blowing.

Proximity to the motorway as an attractive commuter option is maybe not as brilliant as you might expect though – as others have said the M62 gets pretty busy in the rush hour. They’ve recently been putting in “managed motorway” stuff which has made it worse than usual over the last year or so, I don’t know if it’s done now and I don’t use it so can’t comment if it’s led to improvements in traffic flow.

Importantly, Tingley’s just outside Morley, so you’re sorted for a decent bike workshop at Garage Bikes when you break bits of bicycle. Not vast amounts of riding from the door, but there’s some to be found if you seek it out (or ask Al @Garage Bikes, he’ll point you in the right direction).

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Haven’t actually lived in Leeds, was closer to Bradford but I’ve not heard it mentioned as being rough out that way. Seems Ok from these local police/crime reports too:

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news/tingley-update-pact-meeting-0

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news/tingley-update-pact-meeting-3

john_drummer
    Free Member

managed motorway on the M62 is finished between J26 (Bradford) and J30 (Wakefield). Only problem is, they’ve now started on the M1 between J39 and the M62. Why they couldn’t have done them together I don’t know.
    When there is a problem on the M62, expect knock-on problems on the A650, A653 and surrounding roads

Al @ Garage Bikes rides (used to anyway) with Bad Brains MBC, they used to regularly ride from either The Babes In The Wood just down Dewsbury Road, or from Asda Morley on Bradford Road

NB Elland Road football stadium is not far, there’s a fair bit of traffic on match days. And The White Rose shopping centre just up Dewsbury Road, gets mental busy around this time of year

ton

not rough at all. it is the newish estate on the right, before the lights.

jaymoid

Garage Bikes do regular rides from their shop, check their facebook for more info.

Also there’s some good mtb routes into Leeds if you plan to commute by bike, singletrack in the morning definitely beats riding next to cars. Give us a shout for more info.

craigxxl
    Free Member

As per Edlong, Ton and Duffle.
    It’s not a bad area closer to Woodkirk than Tingley. Tingley and East Ardsley have a big council estates and you wouldn’t want to live there. Traffic along that road is busy though and is main ambulance route too so keep that in mind if the house is directly on Dewsbury Road.

bearnecessities

Thanks all; just been for viewing – all looking really good; ticked all the boxes for me…. until estate agent gave me the pack to make my bid on.

The estate agents demand £3k cash if my bid is accepted, as an “introduction fee” for a sealed bid process.

How the hell is a first time buyer meant to pull £3k out of their arse as well as a 10% deposit?

👿

sparkingchains
    Free Member

3K fee? That is outrageous.

chewkw
    Free Member

The estate agents demand £3k cash if my bid is accepted, as an “introduction fee” for a sealed bid process.

Crikey … 😯

john_drummer
    Free Member

Tingley and East Ardsley have a big council estates

I think you’ll find that’s West Ardsley 😉 which is next to Tingley. I grew up in East Ardsley, we didn’t normally go west…
    The border is the junction where the America Golf centre is, opposite what we used to call Amblers’ Mill (Country Baskets now IIRC)

ElShalimo

£3k intro fee !!!!
    It’s a buyers market out there, can they really be pulling tricks like this?

bearnecessities

It appears so; I don’t understand why they would try to pull stunts like this at the end of the market that can least afford it.

I’ve asked agent too see whether seller would pay the fees if my bid was attractive enough. Can’t do more than that really.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Leeds folk – area advice please.’ is closed to new replies.