Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Leeds Bike Plan Help
  • tom84
    Free Member

Hi All, I was going to go up to Leeds and do the mary townley loop on the 29th of december. What do people think of this? I am preety fit, think i’ll go clockwise from todmorden or hebdon bridge. What map is best?

But my girlfriend is also keen to give biking a wee try and we thoguht about hurstwood resevoir’s blue run which i think is easy to get to from leeds on the burnley train (please tell me if i’m wrong)

The thing with this though is we’d need to hire her a bike to take over there. Can anyone around that area suggest a easy place to hire an mtb for an aftrernoon, in easy distance of the train line?

Tess
    Free Member

There are 2 Evans bike shops by the train station at Leeds, one is a bike secure park and a proper shop just along the way. Don’t know if they hire bikes.

Tess
    Free Member

Ps there is a mt loop guide prob might be able to buy it from a book shop in Hebden bridge. It is a tough, long 48 mile day ride v hilly if you doing it this month you need to start early to get the day light.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Cyclepoint (the one right outside the station with secure parking) hire bikes, not sure whether they just do town/hybrid type stuff or mtbs though.

Esme
    Free Member

Tom, may I ask where you normally ride?

The MTL is a very hard ride in a day, especially solo, particularly at this time of year. I’m not sure you’ve really thought this through . . .

bspoked
    Free Member

Cyclepoint only rent heavy hybrids or worse. 8 quid a day. Just about alright for the canal towpath out towards saltaire. Hurstwood is a long way to go for something very short. Not sure how nice the ride up from Burnley eod be.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Lots of train accessible riding in either Benji Haworth’s or Nick Dutton Taylor’s guidebooks.

Both Hebden Bridge or Saltaire would be good places to start where you could link a number of shorter routes together to get a day’s pedalling in. Both places are also nicely scenic with good cafes.

Not sure about bike hire but Blazing Saddles in Hebden or All Terrain Cycles in Saltaire would be the ones to ask.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

It sounds like your girlfriend hasn’t done much biking. It might be a good idea to show her some festive kindness and keep things mellow. Biking from Saltaire is then probably the better option as the hills are generally not as steep or technical and the locals are nicer 😉

Saltaire is one stop on the train from Leeds.

I’d be happy to show you round if I’m about when you visit.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

I might even be able to lend your girlfriend a bike.

tom84
    Free Member

thanks everyone.

the idea wasn’t to bring my girlfriend on the MT Loop, but do it myself. Esme if that is still what you meant, I would say I am very fit and capable rider, but will not be on trails i know at all and it will be the middle of winter so I am hesitating. What do you suggest?
    Very many thanks to everyone!

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Tom84

YGM

Esme
    Free Member

Tom, you haven’t given us any indication of where or what you normally ride, so I’ve no idea whether your planned ride is sensible – or even possible.

Some sections are pretty isolated, some poorly signed, some rather boggy. Plenty of riders feel pleased to complete it in two days (and horse riders take three).

Why not start up a new thread for a ride from Hebden Bridge, and invite some locals to show you around? The natives are very friendly round there, and love showing visitors their favourite routes 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I personally can’t think of anything worse than the MT loop at this time of year. Its just a big slog… Much better ‘fun’ riding to be had around here (see the post about Hebden/Calderdale riding someone has put up).

tom84
    Free Member

cheerz everyone!

Sancho
    Free Member

DBW +1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Leeds Bike Plan Help’ is closed to new replies.