Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • lee quarry race at the weekend………
  • neil853
    Free Member

………roll call who’s doing it?!

lowey

Love the venue, but don’t do racing. Have fun all.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

Lowey, why not marshal then?

Share the fun without the sweat!

JxL
    Free Member

yup il be there, have a go hero category 😀 (sunday 19th)

neil853
    Free Member

good man JxL!

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

thinking about Marshaling. 🙂

domino

Many women signed up yet Brownbacks? I am intending on signing up on the day but am a little scared (first race ever).

Harry_the_Spider

Many women signed up yet Brownbacks? I am intending on signing up on the day but am a little scared (first race ever).

Don’t be. Just think of it as a mass ride. You’ll be reet.

Go and have a quick lap on Saturday if you want to check out the terrain.

domino

Just think of it as a mass ride. You’ll be reet.

I rarely ride in a group! I am sure I will be fine, will be starting at the back and yes, I will have a quick lap on Saturday to see what its like.

Harry_the_Spider

Short lap races are good because you have no idea where you are in the field after about 20 mins. I thought I was battling along mid table during the Tod CX and finished 90odth out of 110!

trio25
    Free Member

I won’t be at this one, but you’ll be fine domino. You’ll have no idea where you are and have your own little battles with people. Most who will just be pleased to see a female racing. My first cross race I was the only female, everytime I passed through the start finish I got cheered and told I was winning it was great!

paule
    Free Member

Would love to be there, and had planned to race it, but my lower back has gone into spasm 🙁

Hope it’s a good one, and I hope I’m healed by the 2nd one!

neil853
    Free Member

There are a few entered and we are expecting more on the day, this event has been designed from the ground up to try and help people to enjoy racing both for the first time or the 50th.

so come along and enjoy yourself, thats what its all about! 😆

JxL
    Free Member

From what I understand now is that the red route (best bits) will be closed to Have a go Hero category? BOO! 🙂

Brownbacks
    Free Member

latest updates here http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk/view/view_from_the_hill.php

includes pics of the series prizes etc

Ladies, yes we think we might get into double figures and yes relax its going to be hard (it is racing afterall)but we are clear this is grass roots racing and the aim is to make it as accessible as possible.

On the course issue, essentially the “Have-a-go Hero” category is for the experienced rider who might struggle to “race” some of the more technical parts of the quarry and who may be a lot slower than than the others. The course is therefore shorter and misses out areas where overtaking maybe difficult or there are concerns about riders staying upright. There is still plenty to have a go at and it still will not be an easy race.

We think that if you are capable of riding the bits we have cut out reasonably well then in our view you should be in the categorys that race them. We have started planning assuming a lot of people will never have raced, and that a number may not be familiar with the quarry hence the structure and its worked well when pitching the sponsorship.

However we are up for suggestions and want rider input, we want races that are full of people having a great time with competitive racing for all. We have managed to deliver through generous sponsorship a great prize list for four events and we want to show that there is plenty of demand for short series of events like ours.

Hopefully we will see most of you on the start line or in a marshals vest.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

Marshalling

If you are interested, this is what is involved:

Marshalling is a rewarding and entertaining way to support your local
    community and mtb racing……. well I would say that I need people to
    marshal.

Essentially we need responsible people to assist in managing the event. The
    Position will be on the course where you will indicate the correct way to go for the riders, signal if there is a hazard ahead (cool yellow flag provided) and call for first aid assistance should a rider need it (radio provided).
    You will be asked to wear a rather stylish yellow waistcoat (with “Marshal” on the back)and will be given a radio to talk to the race organisers (really nice people) with.

To help, you get a full briefing and all the necessary equipment and
    hopefully a bit of food and drink. We ask that you turn up by 09:00 and be
    prepared to stay to the end 12:30ish. You will need to make sure that you
    can cope with Bacup weather (4 seasons in one day) and be able to walk
    about the quarry fairly quickly without assistance.

We hope to be able to liven things up and give you some Swiss cow bells or
    something else to cheer the riders on. Or you can bring your own…

To top it all the “registered” marshals for the day get put into a free
    cash prize draw for ?50 to say thanks and there is a drink and biscuit from the coffee van.
    To register you need to be signed on before 09:00 on the day.

if you want to marshal email info@brownbacksracing.co.uk

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘lee quarry race at the weekend………’ is closed to new replies.