Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lee Quarry on a rigid singlespeed?
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Staying with the inlaws in Lancs briefly this weekend so thought I might nip over to Lee Quarry. Leaving aside the usual responses about needing a beard to ride a singlespeed, is the red route reasonably rideable on a rigid singlespeed (and is Lee Quarry worth visiting?!)

Could take the hardtail race bike instead if need be. What are thoughts on the trails?

donks
    Free Member

Check out the vid on the home page with mckasgill and co riding Lee quarry, looks like you'll be ok.

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

go for it !!! my mate has done all red and most of black on a carbon cyclocross bike so no worries there. Def worth a visit , i live 2 miles away and go up quite a bit – lots to do especially with all new work done over the winter. I'd show you around but off doing dyfi this weekend , i'm sure there will be plenty going up there though. Where are you staying geographically?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Staying over near Chorley, so it will be an early morning Sunday blast before I drive back up to Edinburgh in the afternoon.

Thanks for the comments – sounds like good fun then. I've looked at some of the videos of the site before, and some of it looks a bit hairy for the vertigo challenged. Will take the singlespeed for a good workout and maybe start off on the red to get a feel for it. If you see anyone at the bottom of a drop lying in pieces with a green Inbred say hello!

lowey

most of black on a carbon cyclocross

Fookin Norah. Respect.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes fine but you will struggl eon the climbs but yes all rideable brave/skilled to do the black though.
    Some nice local riding from Chorley e- mail me if you want to ride out of the door and all singlespeedable – sadly Sunday is a rest day for me or I would join you.

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

yes Lowey, respect indeed – he's talented and a few beans short of a full sausage – the guys on the orange 5's weren't inpressed he could do it when they'd brought full on bikes for it lol.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Ha ha, CX does indeed sound impressive. I'm probably lacking large enough danglies for the full on black (although on a good day I ride black bits elsewhere).

Junkyard – ta for the offer. Quite often stay in Withnell and I understand there are some reasonable routes around there. Might need to pick your brain for ideas in future. I think a quick blast round some marked trails (saves me thinking about trying to follow routes) will suit for this weekend though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

plenty of options from Withnell with either Rivvy – the large mast or Darwen the tower in the opposite direction. San marino is a wonderful climb for a singlespeed as indeed is the climb up to Darwen tower.

thomthumb
    Free Member

for balance;

you might die. 😉

pixelmix
    Free Member

Ah, that's a game changer thomthumb. Think I'll need to buy a new 5" travel bike, full faces and armour before I go. 😯

Oh, sod it, I'll die at some point anyway. Singlespeed and rigid it is!

Ed-O
    Free Member

You'll be fine there with a rigid ss. The climbs although steep are relatively short. I've ridden rigid ss down the black, although it wouldn't be my first choice!

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

Ed-o , it was one of your gang that rode on the carbon xc – Mr.Oli E. Think he's under the impression that if it's got wheels…it'll go ! lol

Ed-O
    Free Member

Olie's so bling he even has carbon under crackers.

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

He's never shared that level of detail with me – no wonder he's quicker than me on the uphill sections ! I can but dream of having such gucci kit 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry on a rigid singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.