Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Lee & Cragg Quarry – whats the current situation ?
  • christhetall
    Free Member

Never been, but driving from Sheffield to Blackpool on Saturday so thought I might stop off for an hour or so. I know there has been rain damage, but how much of the route is affected ? Are the damaged sections easy to bypass ?

Assuming I park at Futures Park, is it worth the trip over to Cragg quarry (I’m probably more interested in red XC stuff than black downhills)

Is this info here http://www.rossendale.gov.uk accurate ?

craig24
    Free Member

Can’t comment on condition of the trails but if your more into the red XC stuff then skip Lee and head straight for Cragg. I park on Cowpe Rd and ride straight up to Cragg, this is the route I generally use –

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3159481-cragg-quarry-from-cowpe-mtb/

Park at Cowpe Rd, BB4 7EA. It climbs up Cowpe Rd to Cragg Quarry and will bring you to begining of the trails, after a loop of the trails, connect back onto route and return to Cowpe Road via Pennine Bridleway (rocky descent).

binners

I’m sure you don’t need telling how much rain we’ve had over the last few weeks. As well as the snow thats melted over the weekend.

The bottom of Lee Quarry is an absolute mess. Full on Landslides. Cragg will be fine though. If I was you I’d start from Edenfield or even Owd Betts and head straight up the Coal Road to Cragg, do a loop, and finish on Owd Betts descent

christhetall
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll follow Craigs route, and save Binners for some time when I’ve got more time to explore. Looks like there’s plenty to do there.

gonzy
    Free Member

Park at Cowpe Rd, BB4 7EA. It climbs up Cowpe Rd to Cragg Quarry and will bring you to begining of the trails, after a loop of the trails, connect back onto route and return to Cowpe Road via Pennine Bridleway (rocky descent).

on the map you provided in the link…i take it you did the route in clockwise?

craig24
    Free Member

Yea Gonzy do it clockwise, easier climb and better descent.

Also as you drive up Cowpe Rd, there is a car park on the opposite side to the first row of houses you get to, normally has an old caravan parked there and says these gates will be locked after such and such a date. I generally park on there and I’ve been informed the gates are never locked.

gonzy
    Free Member

Yea Gonzy do it clockwise, easier climb and better descent.

Also as you drive up Cowpe Rd, there is a car park on the opposite side to the first row of houses you get to, normally has an old caravan parked there and says these gates will be locked after such and such a date. I generally park on there and I’ve been informed the gates are never locked.

thanks Craig. i used to be a regular up to Cragg and Lee as i lived in the area but following a 5 year break from riding i’ve found that i’ve forgotten many of the routes up there… 😳

MadBillMcMad

Craig’s route is only 7km & the climb up () clockwise) is not a bridleway, although you obviously have options of Cragg & Lee on that little loop.

The only bit of real serious damage at Lee is the lower section ending up at the double gates, so you can park up in the normal place & ride up & then do all the rest of Lee & Cragg at your liesure.

However IMO parking in Edenfield & going up Gin Croft Lane is a better option anyway, nicer place & more cafes !

craig24
    Free Member

Yea I’m certainly no expert on the area, just a route I’ve found whilst exploring the place.

binners

Don’t know if you’ve tried this place in Edenfield yet Bill, but its a nice place to end a ride…

Drop Off Cafe Edenfield

He’s made is own light fittings out of carbon road wheels. They look awesome!

thepodge
    Free Member

I drive from Sheffield to Blackpool a lot and prefer to call in at Gisburn for my riding

binners

Podge – the best way to do Cragg in particular is to do it as part of a bigger loop. There are some awesome trails in the area. If either of you ever want showing around, just give us a shout.

gonzy
    Free Member

If either of you ever want showing around, just give us a shout.

i might take you up on that offer Binners. i’ll pay you with Greggs pasties!! 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

binners – Podge – the best way to do Cragg in particular is to do it as part of a bigger loop. There are some awesome trails in the area. If either of you ever want showing around, just give us a shout.

Now that’s an offer… I’ll be back in Tod this Sunday and hoping to get a ride in but not sure, I’ll stick it on the “to do” list if you don’t mind.

To be honest while I really like Gisburn anyway, I also really like the drive from there towards Lancaster so that does influence me quite a bit.

binners

My emails in my profile if you fancy it Podge. To give you an example, this is the descent from the turbines from Cragg down to Owd Betts

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X8t3OUnEn8[/video]

MadBillMcMad

cheers binners – not tried it but have heard about it.

This is one of my favourite routes in the area, encompassing Lee, Cragg & Waughs Well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/339487688

Ditto – as per Binners offer – I can also offer my services – any excuse.
    Binners – perhaps we could meet up sometime.

christhetall
    Free Member

I drive from Sheffield to Blackpool a lot and prefer to call in at Gisburn for my riding

That’s my plan for the return trip on Sunday !

Binners – Do you have a GPX of a good route starting from Edensfield ? If the weather is good I might decide to spend more than the hour I first planned – although it also depends upon what time the plumber finishes !

craig24
    Free Member

If anyone is off to Cragg I wouldn’t mind learning some new routes. Email is also in profile 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Ditto – as per Binners offer – I can also offer my services – any excuse.
    Binners – perhaps we could meet up sometime.

I’ll be in Rammy for a few days next month if any of you fancy meeting up? I’ve never done that descent to Owd Betts – looks fun.

binners

Bill – I’d be up for meeting up. Emma is in my profile.

Heres a really good Strava route taking in both sides of the valley, with Cragg in the middle of the ride, and then downhill all the way into Rammy with a brewery at the bottom 😀

MadBillMcMad

This route should give you a few options.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=CD69FCF6602149F512576D20BA9DC401.fe3?fileId=qnksdkeatqmuqete

The start is from Cragg, but you could also start in Edenfield or Waterfoot.

MadBillMcMad

Binners – were you on the MNPR from Chapletown sometime in 2015 ?

If so , I was the guy on the fatty.

gonzy
    Free Member

in light of what’s happened at Lee Quarry recently there is an event being planned for cyclists on Sunday 28th February.

https://www.facebook.com/events/955545404515987/

according to the link there are over 300 people who’ve confirmed their attendance…

thepodge
    Free Member

christhetall – That’s my plan for the return trip on Sunday!

Great minds and all that… we’re planning on doing Gisburn then Stainburn on our way back this time.

thepodge
    Free Member

binners – My emails in my profile if you fancy it Podge. To give you an example, this is the descent from the turbines from Cragg down to Owd Betts

Looks like I’ll need to get my cornering sorted for that

gonzy
    Free Member

Binners – quick question for you. if we were to ride up Gin Croft Lane in Edenfield would it be easier to stay on Gin Croft and then onto Sand Beds Lane? or would it be easier to turn onto Michael Wife Lane and then up WaterBoard Road?
    if i recall i’m sure WaterBoard was off limits to cyclists as its technically a footpath…i could be wrong though.
    if its ok to cycle along WaterBoard Road then i’d like to join onto the Rossendale Way and head towards Scout Moor Reservoir and following the loop back up before joining Rooley Moor Road near Cragg.

chorlton
    Free Member

Both Sand Beds and the Waterboard road are marked as footpaths. Not that it ever stopped us. In more recent times the lane past the Waterboard house has been sign posted as private so we just push up the footpath in the field to the side then carry on riding up the track once past the house.
    If you ride up Sand Beds just be aware that there used to be two big dogs at the farm house near the top which would come out and chase you.
    We’d always ride down that way. 🙂

binners

We tend to go up the coal road, then drop down Waughs Well, that brings you out at the back of Cragg.

Wish I was up there today. I’m working from home and I’m just looking up at the turbines. there’s not a breath of wind up there! A rare day indeed! And it’s clear blue skies, cold and crisp.

Perfect! Trust Binnerette number 1 to be off school ill Eh?

gonzy
    Free Member

We tend to go up the coal road, then drop down Waughs Well, that brings you out at the back of Cragg.

might try that route…it eliminates that monster climb up WaterBoard Road or Sand Ben Lane. could then tackle the dry river bed on Michael Wife Lane and join Bury road and then up Coal Road.

binners

Thats what we usually do. But they’ve seriously sanitised the river bed, and put fences up across the route through the trees, so you can no longer get a clear run down

gonzy
    Free Member

If you ride up Sand Beds just be aware that there used to be two big dogs at the farm house near the top which would come out and chase you.

thanks for the heads up on that Chorlton!

gonzy
    Free Member

“Both Sand Beds and the Waterboard road are marked as footpaths.”

thats what i suspected…ive been up the Waterboard road in the past. got caught by some rangers who gave us a mild telling off but they were more interested in catching the lads on MX bikes
    i’m more concerned with encountering a rabid rambler who has a pop at us for riding on a marked footpath!!

does anyone actually live/work in the Waterboard house?

binners

Apparently the fences have been put in to stop MXers who’ve been ripping round there recently. You see them regularly up at Cragg

I’m not fussed about riding footpaths round there, as a lot of them were originally bridleways that were then reclassified as footpaths, like the one that runs down by the Fishermans. If you didn’t ride footpaths round here you’d not be able to string a decent route together. Can’t see the problem myself as long as you’re not being a nobhead

gonzy
    Free Member

But I am a nobhead binners!! 8)

binners

Oh… so am I. Curses!

Just to give you the heads up, we’ve now settled into another bout of that biblical style ’40 days and 40 nights’ style rain that we’ve all come to know and love so much of late. Couldn’t even see the turbines this morning 😥

ransos
    Free Member

“Both Sand Beds and the Waterboard road are marked as footpaths.”

thats what i suspected…ive been up the Waterboard road in the past. got caught by some rangers who gave us a mild telling off but they were more interested in catching the lads on MX bikes
    i’m more concerned with encountering a rabid rambler who has a pop at us for riding on a marked footpath!!

Given that the waterboard path is a concrete road, I’ve no qualms about riding it. It’s not as if we’re going to cause any damage…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

And it has had some serious resurfacing of late to cope with the new turbine traffic.

craig24
    Free Member

Anyone been to Cragg over the last few days. Considering a ride up late on tonight. Any idea on how its riding?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Anyone been to Cragg over the last few days.

I was up there yesterday afternoon. It was dry and dusty.

Alright, slightly damp, maybe.

All the trails are as they have been. Occasional damage by townie spudheads on MX bikes as usual.

christhetall
    Free Member

Thanks again for all the advice

My current plan is to park in Edensfield – then go through Shuttleworth (singing Two Margarines on the go, it’s a nightmare scenario), up Bamford Road, Coal Road, Rossendale Way, lap or two of Cragg, maybe go over to have a look at Lee, then down Sand beds and finish with a trip at the cafe. Does that sound reasonable ?

Unless the weather is grim (and it does seem to be whenever I go through Rossendale) in which case I’ll just do the shorter loop from Cowpe.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Lee & Cragg Quarry – whats the current situation ?’ is closed to new replies.