Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Lee and Crag Quarry to close
  • Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

That’s a shame and I’m sorry to hear of the problems. I imagine there’s a solution somewhere / somehow that will allow riding to continue. It’ll just take time and effort to reach. I’m sceptical that all the money and effort to create the trails at both locations will be “wasted” by a metaphorical padlocking of the gates. However, if you want to shake up the community and get a response there’s no headline in “things are a bit tight, finances are under a squeeze”, better to be dramatic about it 😉

Gutted for all the staff, particularly Tony who’s always been a top bloke in my dealings with him.

Unsurprising that significant funding cuts are biting in “non-essential” LA areas. I suspect it will only get worse in many ways, for many people,, in years to come.

retrorick

I thought the ‘mastermind’ of the Brownbacks race series did a pretty good job. Don’t put yourself down.
    I will still probably ride the trails in and around the quarries just like I did 25yrs ago when I first rode them, nobody stopped me back then.

ransos
    Free Member

I will still probably ride the trails in and around the quarries just like I did 25yrs ago when I first rode them, nobody stopped me back then.

I was thinking the same…

craig24
    Free Member

Such a shame after all the money already spent. Hopefully a solution of sort will be found.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not surprised TBH. More surprised things like this have lasted as long as they have in insurance defined Britain, they do seem to be very influential don’t they!

Let’s see whether the current council members really want to piss on the chips or be helpful.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it due to central govt cuts to local government rather than anything to do with insurance Britain

The council members are about to do lots of unpopular things ranging from this to library closures to balance the books

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yeah of course so will they let any old jack the lad have the run of the place then?

keng38
    Free Member

I have a few links with the Bacup Consortium and will contact them regarding this. They are very good at helping with funding for projects, lottery etc.
    If any of yoy are serious in helping start a group or even join and support to maybe take over the running of Lee and Cragg please get in touch.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Doe this count as a counter to my point in your mind? 😯

What you have to do is to show that the driver for this is “insurance britain”[whatever that means] rather than lack of funds for the council

Whether they will let any old jack the lad take over offers no evidence to support your claim and it is also not what I even remotely claimed. Managing to make a straw man that is a non sequitur is somewhat impressive.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@junkyard

Doe this count as a counter to my point in your mind?

Doe it in your mind?

What you have to do is to show that the driver for this is “insurance britain”[whatever that means] rather than lack of funds for the council

Do I right 🙄

Whether they will let any old jack the lad take over offers no evidence to support your claim and it is also not what I even remotely claimed. Managing to make a straw man that is a non sequitur is somewhat impressive.

And what claim is that? answer if you want although TBH I’m not arsed either way, you can carry on shadow boxing in the mirror.

keng38
    Free Member

Just seen some photos and video of the fire road to the bottom gate and it looks like half the hillside has gone. Not good.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do I right

No mate you can spout gibberish then back it up with more gibberish and a refusal if you please. Clearly that is what please you.
    Forgive me my error in an attempt at adult and rational discoure. My mistake wont repeat it,

Simon

video of the fire road to the bottom gate

Is this it?

charliew

A few videos of Lee Quarry:

https://youtube.com/results?search_query=lee+quarry+flood

Wonder how ‘secure’ other bits of the trails are.

justatheory
    Free Member

Lee Quarry just got a hell of a lot more technical

Large Section Of Lee Quarry Trail Centre Washed Away In Flood

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Oh my the DH section has been completely wiped out!

I take it the quarry part is ok and the bridleway still usable?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ Junkyard – You may have a forum persona to maintain, good for you.

Some bad news for your ego I’m afraid, no one has to answer to you (or me) within boundaries you specify. Start your own forum I’m sure it would be super popular “Junkyard World” or something! Sort it out dude/bro/fam/bra/blood/dog and move on with your life.

keng38
    Free Member

As far as I can tell from a few locals (not been up myself yet) it’s held up quite well. Just the bottom section through the trees from the two tabletops has collapsed. Road up is right on the edge of the landslip so take care on the way up.
    Road from very top down to Cragg has also suffered a bit too.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Makes you wonder if someone “found” something to make things go “bump in the night….”

If a landslide happens when no one is around to see it does the boom of the explosives still make a sound?…..

posiwev
    Free Member

I was over there this morning the affected part is indeed the wooded section, it’s closed where the section commences after the table tops,also part of the climb from the start has collapsed, the rest that I rode are OK including the track down from Rooley Moor Road, more can be said for the track adjacent to the Irwell from the old redundant steel stockist at Ramsbottom to the under the M66 the track is no more…..!

Junkyard
    Free Member

As i said you are free to spout giberish and use a straw man and illogical arguments to support your view whilst refusing to justify it.

Did you just think you could say somethign incorrect and get away with it?

As for who has a persona here etc mleh what you said was wrong what you said to justify it made no sense the rest is just you being you and blaming me.

grannyjone
    Free Member

It looks like this Winter has caused devastation to many trails. Just hope we don’t get much more of this weather or there won’t be much left.

eddie11
    Free Member

Can we keep this thread about cragg and lee please?

Eek. Spoil heaps slipping on hills above villages is a bit scary. The Whole place is just piled up spoil. This is not going to make the county council any better inclined to keep it open and this just highlights the extent of liabilities in an old quarry and the limited kinds of organisations that could take it on.

grannyjone
    Free Member

One of my favourite local rides was Rammy to Cragg/Lee Quarry and back. I’m gutted to hear that Lee has taken such an amount of damage and is unlikely now to ever get repaired as one of the highlights of that loop was the descent through Lee Quarry.

mick_r

Can we keep this thread about cragg and lee please?

Seconded. Please don’t start with all that strawman s***

I’d never thought about what that bit was made of before, but slipping spoil heap was my first though on seeing the pictures. Is the access road built on the same stuff? Have seen the farmer using that pretty frequently on his quad, but looking at the map he has other options (so unlikely to get rebuilt if it also disappears).

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Is the access road built on the same stuff?

I doubt it it’s the line of the old tramway the bit that has gone was clearly landscaped

http://www.bacuptimes.co.uk/index_htm_files/8483.jpg

the picture hints that the blown out section was the old line of the stream

mick_r

Nice photo!

I thought that track might have been older but never visited Lee prior to development (just did Cragg, Rooley Moor etc a few time bitd).

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Water, especially an old water course, plus earthworks fill structures is a tricky combination. Really sad to see the damage and gutted for those that have put in so much time and effort to the trails. Still, its just a place, no one’s home or livelihood like some of the other poor buggers caught by the floods.

As for the internet warriors :rolleyes:

Still keeping fingers crossed for a good solution in due course. SingletrAction will be happy to help PMBA if we can 😎

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad to read the STW piece and see the photos. Drives home the point about insurance, people could have died if the landslip had occured whilst people where riding. Big negative is I can imagine future similar quarry projects could be impacted, anyone doing a risk assesment is going to look at this and have nightmares

The landslip reneders all rants about funding cuts etc irrelevant. @chetser top post 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Lee and Crag Quarry to close’ is closed to new replies.