Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • LED Torches
  • honourablegeorge

Anyoen recommend a site/EBay seller?

Cheap and rechargable, but preferably not of the “burning the house down” variety

z1ppy

B_f_d_d or torchy the battery boy has a great rep, never used him myself but you don’t hear anything bad about him either (& he spent ages ranting about rubbish chinese stuff..).

His website: http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member

Search out the Seller, Big has a great rep, never used him but you don’t hear anything bad about him either.

Seems overpriced to me.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What do you want width or throw

z1ppy

David compared to what? What are your suggestions please?
    Will they need a new battery and a new charger for them to be safe?… making them cost a similar price?

Apologies, I seemed to have missed David’s suggestion or he edit it in afters…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

£50 for a torch that looks like an unknown quantity.

The one I linked to is about £20 and is well reviewed. I’ve had one, although I broke it after 2 years use after dropping it onto a concrete floor.

z1ppy

Yep cause an XPG 3 really compares to an XML U2 with a decent battery and charger, and yeah unknown quality but your’s is ace eh?
    … only 18000’s feedback, you know, he’s obviously just some fly by night dodgy seller.

CountZero

DX.com, plus some decent rechargables Li-ion batteries.
    Something like this:
    http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-kh-t60-ha-ii-xm-lt60-5-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-flashlight-1-x-18650-57006#.VP4Ph4aQGK0
    Get three or four TrustFire 18650 Li-ions, keep them charged up, they keep their charge well, and you can keep using it all the time, instead of having to plug it in when its least convenient.
    I’ve got a number of DX torches, including one of these:
    http://www.dx.com/p/tb-d7-cree-xm-l-t6-8000k-900lm-5-mode-white-led-flashlight-1-x-18650-110262#.VP4Q9YaQGK0
    Really good torch, has a bright centre spot, with a dimmer outer ring. Excellent value for money.

somafunk

C & B Seen have a decent selection I have the 7w cree Q5 and the Cree T6 – both good and i can’t fault them.

CountZero

If you want something small and pocketable, but very bright, then these are amazing:
    http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20120912#.VP4TGIaQGK0
    They will take AA batteries, but I use 14500 Li-ion batteries, they’re 3.7v and work very well.
    You can get the torch from Amazon as well, cost around £11, I have three of them, and they are bright enough to use as a bike light with a Twofish lock-block.
    I can’t say enough good things about them, amazing little torches.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

We still don’t know if he wants length or width. Ooeer

CountZero

I’ve read that width beats length, 😉 so this migh be ideal:
    http://eud.dx.com/product/ultrafire-7xt6-7-x-cree-xm-l-t6-3-mode-4200lm-white-flashlight-w-strap-black-4-x-18650-844285522#.VP4oEYaQGK2
    Might scorch the paintwork, even if it doesn’t contribute to an actual house burning down.
    And it’s still half the price of the OP’s original budget.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Lightmalls – Ultrafire 501b XM-L2 5 mode 18650 for 9.25usd. Cheap, solid, great driver with >2 amps HI and about 1 amp on MED so medium is usefully bright and gives about 2.5 hours, while HI is very bright. Much more trail friendly than my older XML-T6 which gave only 0.6 amps on MED. I’m on my 4th gen of 501bs (at the price it is worth a yearly upgrade) and while the T6 were good, these are great.

Like all the Chinese lights I have used these need to be tightened up, and you need to wrap cells in tape to keep them snug – I also use 1 or 2 x 2.5mm magnets as spacers, as the cells I have are from old laptops so are ‘unprotected’. This means they are 2.5mm shorter than protected cells. Cells need to be v snug as a sharp knock may move them which will interrupt the current… which is how the mode change works on clicky-clicky.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

mushrooms
    Free Member

Thrunite look great for the money, I think it’s the TN12 I was considering and the cheaper ones look good too.

brassneck

SMART 700 Lumen light

Bloomin ace for the money, use it on my commuter and handily torch shaped for use off the bike. USB rechargeable, and all in one unit (which is what I was looking for in the commuting light)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i have an AA battery cree similar to that one that bartimaues mentions, mines a flood to throw and was about a fiver delivered from a uk seller on ebay.

for the cash its a deal, as a keep in the pocket/glovebox its fine. i did buy it as a headtorch but its not quite as punchy as i would like, but as a bar back up or day to day small thing for that cash who is complaining.

johndoh
    Free Member

Old filament Maglite torch from TK Maxx for £12 with a £10 LED bulb upgrade.

Instant daytime.

CountZero

Old filament Maglite torch from TK Maxx for £12 with a £10 LED bulb upgrade.

Instant daytime.
    They’d have had to improve the LED conversion a hell of a lot, then, because the official one I bought for my four-cell Mag was crap, the little R5-A3 TrustFire wees in its boots.
    Plus you’re shelling out £22 for something that is no better than a DX light for a lot less; that 7-emitter TrustFire is only £3 more expensive, and more pocketable.
    That’ll be my next flashlight binge. 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘LED Torches’ is closed to new replies.