Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LED spotlight bulbs – proprietary removal tool?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Just bought some LED spotlights on a whim in Wilko (I know, rock n roll eh) and found that my little sucker install/removal thing that I would normally use is no good because the surface is dimpled. Is there some sort of proprietary tool for LEDs per se or is this just a Wilko-specific thing?

Unfortunately the bulbs sit very snugly in the holder so no chance of holding them around the side as they are either installed or removed so a little confused how this is going to work.

They look like this:

scotroutes

I find that finger pressure works as well as/better than the sucker tool.

munkster
    Free Member

Oh rilly? Interesting. The holder itself isn’t “sprung” as such though is it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Just a bit of finger pressure and twist. If its tight then add a rubber glove to the mix

Cougar

I find that finger pressure works as well as/better than the sucker tool.

That’s all I’ve ever done with GU10 fittings. I never knew such a tool existed.

You’d probably get them in with a pair of needle-nosed pliers in those holes if you were struggling.

munkster
    Free Member

Have to admit I’d never tried without the tool so knowing that this ought to work I will try that. They are very tight in there that’s all, but I’ll give it a whirl.

Thanks, that was (potentially) easier than I thought!

CountZero

There should be enough texture there to get a grip with the fingertips and twist, but Cougar’s needle-nose pliers suggestion is what I was going to suggest as well.

munkster
    Free Member

Cool ta. Poking metal prongs into a light fitting. What could possibly go wrong? 😯 😆

Flaperon

Be wary about the needle nose pliers, the fitting is either soft aluminium or ceramic and somewhat fragile.

unovolo
    Free Member

Use a ball of sticky tape(sticky side out)press against the bulb and twist.

munkster
    Free Member

I’ve not tried anything yet. We keep forgetting to not use those lights so the other ones are always red hot when I come to try and do the job! I’m not sure the pliers route is going to work, the little holes may be plastic in fact, think it may deform them and the fitments are pretty stiff so am going to need to have a bit of leverage there.

I like the sticky tape idea! I may try that.

cbike
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need pliers to fit or remove these. Push and twist. Increase friction with a damp cloth if you need to.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘LED spotlight bulbs – proprietary removal tool?’ is closed to new replies.