Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LED specific GU10 fittings
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I need to replace 6 current MR16 down lighters in our kitchen as a couple of the transformers have blown. Going to change to GU10 LED lights I have been looking at screwfix’s offerings. I need about 4w per light as they are currently 35w bulbs.

They have a contractors pack of fittings which work out very cheaply. I realise I need to buy bulbs sepperatly but its still a lot cheaper. Will LED bulbs fit in these without a problem. Just a standard installation into the plasterboard of wooden constructed floor. Will check for height clearance before I take the plunge.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixed-fire-rated-downlight-contractor-pack-polished-chrome-240v-pk10/77301

Is their a difference in the housing from their pack for considerably more that includes LED bulbs but only 2.5W bulbs

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixed-fire-rated-led-downlight-contractor-pack-brushed-chrome-240v-pk10/8153f

brassneck

Look exactly the same to me, but you’d need to go to store to be sure as the images don’t necessarily reflect what you receive.

FWIW this is exactly what I did – Dad was a sparky so he sourced good fireproof GU10 fixings, and I sourced the LED bulbs (LEDHut aren’t the cheapest but have been best and most reliable so far. Homebase have some 35W equivalents on sale at the moment in store for around £3 a pair non dimmable which are decent too, they make up the bulk of my non feature lighting, with LED Hut ones where I need the max light). I’ve not had any problem fitting any bulbs to any fitting bar bending the cable arm a little on occasion.

Getting rid of transformers is a good move in my book, the 12v systems seem less reliable and have had their day.

lerk
    Free Member

I hope not as I’ve just bought some with exactly the same question running through my head!

The 4w 10pack and fittings works out cheaper and reading the 2.5w fitting bumf, it just reads like a bundle…

Just opened mine and done a test fit and the 4w LAP LEDs here do fit into the fitting fine and as a bonus, you also get 10 50w lamps to dispose of!

nemesis
    Free Member

They will fit – GU10 is a standard fiting – but I’ve found that some LED bulbs are longer than others and typically a little longer than Halogen GU10 bulbs so they protrude a little. Obviously they’re up in the ceiling so you don’t actually notice them but it may bother some people just knowing…

EDIT – just had a look – all our LEDs protrude about 5mm but the B&Q ones I mention below have a bevelled design so it looks fine. We also have a couple of osram ones which aren’t bevelled and don’t look so neat. Again though, I never actually notice…

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, the 4 pack of LED GU10 bulbs from B&Q (Diall branded) at £18 are good – brighter than the 50W Halogens we had before though maybe just a touch more spot than flood.

lerk
    Free Member

4 for £18 good????

Check the link in my previous post…

I’ve fitted loads of the LAP ones and not had a failure either from the box or in 18 months of running!

EDIT:
    Photo for you!

nemesis
    Free Member

Well, those are 35W equivalent, mind… The B&Q ones are 6.5W

trail_rat
    Free Member

not just that – look how tight the beam angle is on them LAPs.

with LED beam shape is everything.

I bought some of them laps fitted them and instantly removed them and put them in the utility room where i didn’t ever have to spend time under them. they are horrific when compared to a quality bulb.

I have a mix of diall 6.5watts and LEDHUT 5 watts through the rest of the house which are a world apart from the 4watt LAP which just have no spread and thus leave dark spots and cast shadows.

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, 36 degree on my B&Q/Diall ones too and they seem fine to me.

petrieboy

I’m having the screwfix ones fitted at the moment. The bulb holder moves freely within the can to accommodate different length bulbs so you shouldn’t have a problem. I’m using ledhut 4.5w warm white jobs which are great if not the cheapest.

ruddy
    Free Member

I just bought 10 4 watt LAP from screwfix (£28) and 10 LED 5 watt GU10 from Wickes (£30).

LAP are good but tight cluster in the bulb although 38 degree spread is the same as wickes.

Prefer the wickes ones if I’m honest as the diffuser looks better and higher wattage.

Both good though.

konabunny
    Free Member

any suggestions for dim able led MR16s? got a rental house full of em and can’t change the fixtures…

lerk
    Free Member

and FWIW 25-38 degrees is pretty standard for filament GU10s too – lets not forget that GU10 is a ‘Spot’ standard…

brassneck

any suggestions for dim able led MR16s? got a rental house full of em and can’t change the fixtures…

AFAIK all 12v (which MR16 usually are.. check though!) are dimmable (the dimmer sits in the 12v portion of the circuit, post transformer) so anything should work.

If 240v I’d start with LED Hut.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘LED specific GU10 fittings’ is closed to new replies.