Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Led self adhesive lighting…..any good for shed use?
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

I’ve got a small shed app 9′ x 7′ , could I get away with the self adhesive led lighting that’s about £8 for 5mtrs on eBay, would it be sufficient? I know I’d need a 12v supply, but there only a fiver, anyone using the stuff?

nickjb
    Free Member

Its fine. Decent light output and takes up little space. Plenty of cheap power supplies available to run it. Only issue is the self adhesive doesn’t stick that well so you need some extra fixings.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

We use it in a gazebo when we’re camping and it’s spot on.
    It should be bright enough for a shed I’d think.

nickjb
    Free Member

There are a few different brightnesses due to the number of leds per metre and the type of led. The 5050 are nice and bright

madeupname
    Free Member

looking for similar, for camper and garage.

any links to suggested strips/suppliers, or do I just pick one at random off Ebay?

Ta

demelitia
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few strips of them for various uses from ledstoredirect on eBay. Seems to be better quality than some of the ones being sold by china based stores. Seller was quick to answer questions and help me get the stuff I needed.

I set one strip up in a garage that had no power to it wired to an old 12v battery. Doesn’t get used often but it’s handy when it does.
    You’ll want some cable clips unless you tack up some smooth surfaces for the adhesive to stick to.

One thing I’d recommend is trying to mount them where you can’t see the strips themselves. I’ve found that if they’re in direct line of sight the brightness of them means your eyes try to adjust and you don’t get the full benefit of the light they flood out. It’s like trying to see past someone shining a torch in your eyes at night.
    I got around It by making reflectors from some stuff at work to diffuse the light.

One more thing, try get warm white rather than the cool/blue white ones. They might deter any stray junkies shooting up in your shed but they aren’t too easy on the eye.

WillH

This is a good write-up of doing exactly what you describe, but for a bigger garage.

As others have mentioned, the key seems to be getting the strips to stick, as the adhesive strips don’t have much grunt. If you have a stapler where the staples are wider then the strip, that would be a simple solution.

twisty

Yes the strips work well for sheds, I used some to light a conservatory. Get a kit that comes with a few connectors etc.
    Do you have mains power in the shed? If not then you could use a small 12V battery kept topped up by a solar car battery charger.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Led self adhesive lighting…..any good for shed use?’ is closed to new replies.