Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LED question (of the GU10 household variety)
  • jonba
    Free Member

Looking at getting some for the kitchen.

I want a wide spread as I have ones in the bathroom that are a bit too narrow a beam.

What are the merits of the 3x1W variety over the 27 diode variety?

nixie

Power and efficiency!

We have 4 of the warm version of http://www.amazon.co.uk/EDISON-Daylight-White-Fluorescent-Energy-Saving/dp/B005K6QJHW/ref=pd_sim_light_2 in both out kitchen and bathroom which seem to have worked well for the last 9 months.

willard

What do you class as too narrow a beam? The ones I got from Ikea to replace the 35 watt halogen spots actually have a wider beam.

Still smarting from the 6 quid pricetag though. How long will they have to last before they are worth it I wonder?

sam_underhill

LEDLite ones from TLC here

I’ve got some of these and plenty using slightly older LEDs.

The problem with th bathroom ones is that in an IP66 fitting lots of the light is blocked anyway. Having said that I’ve got 4 38degree warm white ones in my small-ish bathroom and they are well up to the job.

sam_underhill

Still smarting from the 6 quid pricetag though

I bought my original batch 4 years ago. £22 per lamp! I’m quids in though already (I think) compared to 50 watt halogens chewing up all the electricity.

jonba
    Free Member

The problem with th bathroom ones is that in an IP66 fitting lots of the light is blocked anyway

Maybe that is it as standard halogen are 38°. We have 12 in the kitchen 5 down the middle I’d like to be wide beam and then more focused over the worksurface around the edge.

They need to be dimmable and we are looking at £10 per bulb. WE have something like 30 in the hall and kitchen so I’m replacing them in batches when old ones blow (as you can’t mix I just move bulbs around).

We spend a fortune on electrickery but then we have 30halogen downlights at about 40W each and our bedroom and lounge have chadeliers which are both about 400W (8 incadescent bulbs) so as things need replacing I’m looking for alternatives.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘LED question (of the GU10 household variety)’ is closed to new replies.