Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LED panel lighting for garage- how many?
  • creamegg
    Free Member

I’m considering LED panel lighting, surface fixed to the ceiling, something like 600x600mm or 600x1200mm fittings with additional task lighting above the workbench.

The lumen output for the 600×600 fittings are 4000lm. How many of these would I need to give a good level of lighting throughout the garage- anyone fitted any? How do they compare to fluorescent strip lights?

I’ll be using the garage for general fettling, bike maintenance and joinery work.

Current light fitting is single energy saving bulb in a pendant so anything will better than that.

For reference garage is standard single size (approx. 4x6m)and 2.4m high

Tracey

We have the panel lighting and also the strip lighting in LED at work.
    The strip lights tend to throw more light down whilst the panel are more of a diffused light.
    We replaced our 3 fluorescent strip lights in our garage with 3 LED strip light, not the tube replacements, its transformed working in the garage. We have flood spots on the side wall but haven’t had to use these since the replacement.

nickjb
    Free Member

I fitted four of these to my workshop which is plenty of light. Link Not best quality in terms of build but the light output is great. They claim to be 3000lm so the same as three of your 600×600 panels

creamegg
    Free Member

Thanks, Ill take a look at the LED strip, may be better suited for the task lighting above the work bench

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had mixed experiences of unbranded stuff, so fitted some Philips lights to our kitchen:
    http://www.led-master.co.uk/fittings-controls/indoor-luminaires/surface-suspended-fittings/philips-pentura-mini
    and quite impressed with light output. Transformer built in.

Tempted to get a 1000lm one for workbench/table area in the garage, though those batten things above look tempting to replace the old flickering fluorescent strip light in there at the moment.

stumpy01

Jeez, those LED strips above are very tempting!!

I’ve got 2x fluorescent strips in the garage & the lighting is quite uneven. 4 of those would even things up a lot! They are probably less vulnerable to being pranged than the fluo tubes as well.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got a 5 foot twin strip LED light from Costco for about £40 for my single garage. I nearly bought 2 but thought I’d try one to begin with and it lights up the whole garage very well. I would probably go for an over bench light if I had a bench just to make sure there were no shadows or dim areas due to my body blocking the light, but the single unit illuminates my garage more than adequately. Going to get a couple for the loft.

footflaps

I fitted four of these to my workshop which is plenty of light. Link Not best quality in terms of build but the light output is great. They claim to be 3000lm so the same as three of your 600×600 panels

They look pretty neat!

I fitted the strips things in the kitchen for under cupboard lighting, but those things look a lot neater…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q6S7he]50W 12v LED Driver[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qoh6vt]Twin strips[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

martinhutch

Just one led strip has transformed the light levels in my mancave – had a load of spots before, but the spread and level of light is far superior.

Free Member

you could even use something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-light-Aluminium-Anodised-Channel-Profile-Strips-Straight-Recessed-Corner-1m-/262742092369?

and have a search for 5050 led strip or whatever variant of LED you’re looking for.

an ebay search for “aluminium led channel” will bring up loads of results. Much cheaper than some pre-made item and you get a little more flexibility in how you lay it out too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘LED panel lighting for garage- how many?’ is closed to new replies.