Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • LED lights for dogs
  • Clink

Now it’s dark in the morning my wife is after some LED lights for the dogs. It’s more to locate them in the woods/fields tbh. Any recommendations?

CheesybeanZ

We’ve used the cheapie ones that have a elastic type loop for attaching to the bike and put the collar through the loop so the light hangs on thier chest .

Edit , not LED but they work .

sandboy

Aldi are having their winter cycling sale soon and you can get a set of LED lights as mentioned above for about £3. They are great for the dogs collar but he is not too keen on the flashing modes!

Clink

Thanks. Will give them a try.

rc200f8
    Free Member

I’ve struggled to find a decent one over the years. Pet shop ones are utter crap. Best ones have been bike ones but they all suffer water ingress and stop working, even wet grass makes them fail on the dog even though they don’t seem to get water in them on the bike. Battery contacts make and break when the dog shakes and the lights switch on and off. Best ones I’ve found have been usb charged electron backupz but even these need the battery packed with a piece of foam to stop battery pack movement or else the wires break when the dog shakes, they also need a piece of gaffer tape over the useless usb cover. They’ve not perfect but are the best I’ve found. Got two of them into their 3rd season now.

flatfish
    Free Member

Been using these for the last 10 or so years.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/RapidTradeZone-Flashing-Safety-Blinkers-Batteries/dp/B006DDIOM4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1442214850&sr=8-13&keywords=led+light+for+dog+collar
    Usually last a couple or three years then we buy some more.
    Obviously it hangs down so when the dogs running away from you it disappears but it illuminates the ground under his front legs so not totally invisible, as soo as he turns, instantly visible.
    I must order some more for ourselves now we have another dog.

SaxonRider

May I just say that, in spite of having been a dog owner until I moved to the UK in 2003, I had never seen or heard of LEDs for dogs before. Not that that’s a good or a bad thing, but it meant that the first time I encountered them on my commute home through a darkened field one night, it was incredibly freaky.

z1ppy

those rapidzone collar’s LED last the old dog about one walk, wasn’t impressed.
    IIRC the best solution we found was something similar to this (with more LED’S) but they died too.

z1ppy

(what happened there?)

Dolcered

Managed to wreck a few of these. She’s currently sporting an alpkit torch taped to an old collar Even has authentic port/stbd red/green lights.

scruff
    Free Member

The LEDS with elastic are fine, much better than petshop ones. I think i got my last lot from halfords. My dog doesnt seem to care if its red/white/on/flashing/off.

willard

Tesco cheapy bike lights. They have rubber things on for putting on handlebars, are waterproof and have a blinky mode. They’re also about three quid each and last for ever*.

Far better than the pet shop ones.

*They last a long time, not forever. Nothing lasts forever, not even diamonds.

DezB
    Free Member

We tried the silicone and plastic bike lights attached to the dog’s collar – they were good, but sometimes not visible and wouldn’t last that long as the dog likes to go in water – then my mum gave me some cycling safety bands from Lidls… and they fit perfectly round the dog’s neck, are hi-viz (reflect your torch) and have red LEDs all the way round.
    Perfect for the job – like this here EBAY jobbie.

z1ppy

bugger I missed putting the link on my post, but there what DezB has linked to (still died eventually)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Had one that looks like a glowstick for years.
    Only issue was that as he’s a Lurcher he’d lose it over his head until we clipped it to the collar as well as round his neck.

DezB
    Free Member

but there what DezB has linked to (still died eventually)

On the first one of ours the battery compartment started falling out, so I just wrapped electrical tape round it, still worked for a good few months.

DezB
    Free Member
    benp1

I used to use a Petzl Zipka Plus on my dog, it was an old head torch I wasn’t using. Stopped working after too many trips into the water

Have since bought a Red Dingo Lumitube – it’s excellent. Would highly recommend

Clink

Wow – just checked back in! Lots of really helpful stuff – thanks! 😀

steviegil
    Free Member

I’ve always used the flashing led type that clips onto the collar, want to try something different this year..so watching with interest

anagallis_arvensis

Scares the living shit out of my dog every year when she first see’s lights running about. I dont see the point tbh although having a lucher it doesnt really matter if I can see her I couldnt catch her anyway unless she comes back on her own.

moose
    Free Member

I use high intensity cyalumes. Oodles of them at work, I can source you a box if you’d like. Cheap and disposable, just zip tie them to the collar.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I got two daglow flashing collar type things from tk-maxx a while ago, made by Am-tech i think? Still working very well, very bright too.

spursn17
    Free Member

These…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nite-Ize-Spotlit-Green-LED-Carabiner-Light-with-White-Case-/281668722713

Taking two (sadly now one) black dogs to the woods at night was a nightmare until I got these, I could see them from a long way off and had a different colour (not red though 😀 ) for each dog.

Lidl have cheapo led lights similar to knog lights in their hiking gear from today, they look like they will go on a dog collar OK. I’ll still be buying the NiteIze one’s though.

DezB
    Free Member

Bump, cos Aldi are doing 4 for £4 on Thurs. Stupid to miss it!
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/product-detail/ps/p/reflective-bands-2/

z1ppy

Had seen them but not picked up it was a 4 pack, gotta be worth a punt

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

we have used them LED collars last few winters. cheap as chips on ebay and dont swing about like one hanging off his collar would. plus you can see him from any direction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Dog-Pet-Collar-Flashing-Luminous-Adjustable-Safety-Light-Up-Nylon-Tag-/321543598510

alanf
    Free Member

I can vouch for the Aldi ones too. Had them a couple of years now for the pooch and at 4 for £4 they are brilliant value – and still going strong.
    We use them for running at night when the dog comes too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Make sure the dog has a dump first then use an Exposure flare. They will get used to it! 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘LED lights for dogs’ is closed to new replies.