Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Led lights for a 6m x 5m garage advice
  • biglee1

Hi folks, I’m gonna be changing the lighting in my new garage to led for the crispness of light and running costs.
    Looking at all of what’s available is getting quite confusing! Any advice on what to get? I’ll be painting the walls white as well.

I was considering these
    https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/indoor-light-fittings/ceiling-lights-led/benton-gu10-spotlight-fitting-6-way-flexi-z.html

Cheers folks

Lee

martinhutch

They are surprisingly bright. I have just one neon-style LED strip which is more than enough for a 3mx5m space, so I would have thought two strips would do the job.

If I were you, I wouldn’t bother with GU10 spots. I found that in my garage they blew on a regular basis and didn’t really give a nice spread of light.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got these in mine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182236817813

Similar size space and it’s plenty of light. They are a bit cheap and flimsy in the hand but fine once they are fitted. Low profile too.

MrOvershoot

I would suggest something like These
    I fitted 5 in my workshop and TBH could have got away with 3 as if all 5 are on its almost to light.

If you have a good local electrical wholesaler like I do you can get them even cheaper 🙂

Sundayjumper

I absolutely hate spotlights. Horribly uneven light and always positioned so that my head casts a shadow onto whatever I’m doing. Strips much better but I’m intrigued by the LED panels you can get now. Will try some of those when I eventually get around to refitting my garage.

ratcatcher

+1 Mr overshoot replaced 3 flouresent tubes with those panels far better

biglee1

I did think about the spots casting shadows, the strip lights look a good idea. Not sure if the panels will fit, I don’t even have the house yet

jonnyrockymountain

Just put some of these in my garage, brilliant a massive difference to flu tubes

http://www.ledlights.uk.com/36w-led-panel-600-x-600-mm.html?gclid=CMiW66mimtICFTUo0wodNfQIog

colp

These from Costco are really good for £45, mega bright.

CountZero

I absolutely hate spotlights. Horribly uneven light and always positioned so that my head casts a shadow onto whatever I’m doing. Strips much better but I’m intrigued by the LED panels you can get now. Will try some of those when I eventually get around to refitting my garage.

Good point as far as ceiling mounting is concerned, but spots are handy for directing a light source onto a particular work area, mounting several swivel-head spots with LED’s installed along a wall above the work area means they can be individually switched on and the light pointed where needed, or else get a couple of small anglepoise-type lights, put LED bulbs in and just move them around as needed.

Wally

On the strength of this thread I popped into Wicks and got 15% off their twin run LED 5 footer, about £50. Huge improvement over my single old tube. Old dodgy eyesight needed it.
    here

porter_jamie

I got led light battens from screw fix. Soooo much better than fluorescent

cbike
    Free Member

I ve used 4 x 2 metres of LED strip taped into alu channel for emergency and worklight in a huge space.

P20

ive bought some led strip lights from eBay but they aren’t installed yet. £40 for 2x 5ft

docstar
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

Another vote for Screwfix LED battens. And they have proper covers so no more breaking the super brittle covers when you bump them with a bit of timber.

Fixed mine to the walls around the garage so there are no shadows.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

For those with LED panels like the 600X600 ones what area are you covering and with how many?

hammyuk
    Free Member

I have the panels – mega bright.
    A friend has them throughout his premises for making CF race car panels and parts – perfect even spread of light.
    Be careful as some don’t come with the driver.
    ledpanelstore is who he uses (and mine) – choice of standard or dimmable drivers.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Led lights for a 6m x 5m garage advice’ is closed to new replies.