Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Led kitchen lights what spectrum?
  • pedlad

I kno this has been discussed here by the many self builders but my Google fu has gone awol.

First fix on our extension is starting and we have lots of decisions to make. One of which is lighting and I wondered if there was a con census on the best led spectrum gu10 to go for?

Stoner
    Free Member

I am not sure what you mean by spectrum, but having tested over 20 gu10 led brands, my favourite for the 100x or so in the barn are screw fix lap 281 lumen
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gu10-led-lamps-281lm-410cd-4w-6-pack/9674d

Warm, good cast, nice shape, long lasting: none died yet.

pedlad

I’ve seen them variously described as “warm” “cool” 3000k etc

Thanks for recommendation.

nickjb
    Free Member

For colour temp warm white looks more ‘normal’. I put some cool white ones in once and it looked quite weird at first but didn’t take long to get used to. Personal preference really but not that big a deal if you choose wrong IMO.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve put ‘daylight’ ones in my kitchen, these are quite ‘cool’. All food immediately looked grey as opposed to brown when cooking – it was really odd. I put a couple of halogens under the cooker hood to return to a light I was used to. If I did it again (just about to extend so will have 20odd down lighters to put in) I’d go for ‘warm’

Oh, and LED hut for very good prices!

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

warm.. ~2700k, close to incandescent/halogen
    no house should have cool/daylight bulbs, its nasty [/imo]

twisty

2700K certainly best for living room IMHO, and check that the CRI is not too low too.
    But for Kitchen 3000K can be ok it depends on your preference and colour of the surfaces.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As ‘warm’ as you can get as above house would be awful with cool

njee20
    Free Member

I put some cool ones in the garage and it felt very clinical, I hated it. replaced with warm and they’re infinitely better.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Our Kitchen and Bathroom designers seem to spec cool white for the showroom which looks good, however if they’ve specced them for jobs I always think it looks odd and prefer warm white.

retro83
    Free Member

I have 4000k in kitchen/bathroom, 3000k white in all other rooms

here’s the effect it has on the kitchen

[img]http://www.downlights.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/Colour-Temperature-3000K-V1_1.jpg[/img]
    https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-which-colour-temperature-.html

spawnofyorkshire

For kitchens you want to be looking at 3000k and then the lumen output (brightness). The ones stoner recommend should do the job nicely for you.
    4000k in a home should be for very specific task areas (I have them in my cooker hood) but they could be very stark for day to day living.

At work I specify 4000k for teaching spaces, libraries,offices etc however we think about the light output and our aim is to not make things too bright as thats what gets people

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Led kitchen lights what spectrum?’ is closed to new replies.