Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LED house lights turning themselves down/off – Why?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I bought some Phillips LED lights for the hallway. It is a normal non-dimmable ceiling light and when first fitted they were fine

about two hours later they had dimmed and one actually went out

Any idea why and what can I do to stop it?

DrP

Ghosts.
    Until proven otherwise.

DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

WCA and electricity.

This isn’t going to end well!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hammyuk
    Free Member

Faulty and overheating most likely – take them back and go to Ikea!

amedias
    Free Member

DrP that’s always my default explanation at work, that or solar flares…

overheating – if you leave them a while and turn them back on are they back to normal?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It could be supply voltage to your house, although I understood that most new stuff was capable of running down to 220 anyway.

My money I’d on them being faulty and/or overheating.

sharkbait
    Free Member

The diode chamber is obviously too small and they’re running out of light before you switch them off for the night and the pixies come round filling them up again – common problem in the winter with long hours of darkness.
    Solution is to get change them for diodes with a bigger light chamber.

cinnamon_girl

If it’s any consolation I bought 2 LEDs from Homebase, buy one (£13!!!) get one half price. One did the same as you’re experiencing, tried it in other lamps/different sockets to no avail.

Took one back for replacement but none left. 😐

Generally I don’t seem to have much luck with bulbs in that they don’t last very long so thought it would be worth trying LEDs.

monkeychild
    Free Member

My Polish leds (g10 & g9) from home bargains have been spot on. Gost less than £3 each.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Check your peak voltage.

CountZero

WCA and electricity.

This isn’t going to end well!
    😆

chip
    Free Member

take them back and go to Ikea!

A bit harsh, could he not just stand in the corner.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Turn them off and back on and they are fine. Seems strange that I got six faulty bulbs, individual packaging not a box set.

Overheating is possible I guess.

stumpy01

Not that it really explains your issue, but we get this on a replacement bulb in our living room.
    We’ve got two bulbs in there; an eco halogen and a dimmable led. They are on a dimmer. The led is sometimes quite noisy (buzzes) and will turn itself off after a couple of hours. It gets quite hot.

Speaking with a mate about it, he reckons we need an led dimmer module, rather than a ‘normal’ dimmer. There’s no mention of this on the packaging but looking online it does seem to be that this might be the case.
    Annoyingly that means our £8 dimmable led will require an £11 dimmer module to get it to work properly and then the eco halogen in the other light fitting won’t work properly, so I’ll need to get another dimmable led for that socket.
    So, £27 to have two led bulbs in the living room….bargain.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

When I rang screwfix earlier they said I needed a LED dimmer module. I explained it wasn’t a dimmer switch and there was a pause and they said they would replace the bulbs but suggested I fitted an LED dimmer module but couldn’t say why.

I emailed Phillips to get their thoughts and they will cal me tomorrow afternoon apparently. I will update with the results

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘LED house lights turning themselves down/off – Why?’ is closed to new replies.