Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • LED downlighting – why 12V MR16 and not 240V GU10?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

you got a link to those?

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

http://bit.ly/RrQgYp £11.88 for 5 inc delivery. Have a nice wide beam as per photo

oldgit
    Free Member

£20 for ten 6 Watts, that’s very good. I use 6W and go for about a 1000 at a time, and they cost me about £8. These give me a credible 50W equivalent, not same as they are different lamps. We take readings and then they get tested again before the properties go on the market.
    We use 6W Kosnic GU10 in Aurora fittings.

We rarely do dimmable as we have had greif. Though we found a little in line resistor from a company called Danlers really helps, though they’ve only been tested with certain lamp brands

IIRC they are a 30 degree beam angle, old MR16 were commonly 38. degrees.

Ewan
    Free Member

Just brought some from that link. I’ll let you know if the house burns down.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

@ewan don’t blame me!! 🙂

http://twitpic.com/b95gnz

This was taken just now. It is probably about 90% of how it looks in the pic

sharkbait
    Free Member

Edited.
    Sorry, was being dumb!

Ewan
    Free Member

@ewan don’t blame me!!

As the flames engulf me I’ll be looking dramatically to the sky, shaking my fist and shouting ‘Rooleymooooooooooor…..’ as i finally succumb to the inferno.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

RooleyMoor, that link of yours says 3w??

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

yep that’s right. supposedly around 35w equivalent. When I tested them (not accurately using my smart meter thingy the consumption went up by 65w) I’m guessing there will be some losses from the on board circuitry etc.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Slight detour, what’s anyone using as energy saving bulbs in spotlights? I’ve megaman at the moment in the kitchen amd they are good but too slow to warm up for new extension (nice but not quite stoneresque) and newly tanked basement with lots of spotlights 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Rooley, ah so if we have 50w halogens, then these wont be as bright I guess…

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

@Funkydunc no, not quite. We had 50w halogen’s and tbh it’s not that much of a difference.

Other than 60w compared to 550w!

igm

I’ve replaced some 50W halogens with 4.5W LEDs and the only real difference in light output is that it’s whiter – a light meter might find a difference but your eye won’t.
    Some people dislike the whiter light, but I find it more natural (closer to daylight) and to me the halogen light looks a little greasy by comparison. Others will disagree, if fact some have earlier in the thread, and say LED light looks cold. Ultimately, it’s your eyes and how they see it.

tomaso
    Free Member

I got some ebay specials with Cree LEDs for about £3 each and were the pleasant 2,700K warm light and not some 6,000k blue meanies.

Ikea do a rather bargaintastic selection of LED bulbs ikea GU10 3.4 watt for £4

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Having just been designing things using LEDs…

Check out

collingwoodlighting.com

Nice stuff, expensive, but nice.

You can also make your own, well at least that what I plan to do, based on what I’ve learned in the last week for work 🙂

This array is 28W and about 2000 Lumen, similar to a 150W Halogen

SnS
    Free Member

Looking to replace the halogens in the kitchen & hallway – 50w 12v MR16’s & 35w 12v MR16’s.

Im trying to find an LED with as close a colour match as possible to the nice warm ‘cozy’ feeling halogens. ( i’m aware that they won’t be exactly the same, but I am trying to get as close as possible)

Any particular make / model I should be looking at ?

Chris

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A colour temp of 3500k is warm-ish. Thehigher the CRI the more balanced the spread of colours. Try Collingwood, as I mentioned above
    http://www.collingwoodlighting.co.uk/cnb/shop/collingwood?op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=&productID=158&topLevelCatID=
    7 year warranty, but not as bright as 50W.

djglover
    Free Member

Ok, I have just replaced 8 dimmable LEDs in my lounge with Philips master. However, the dimming will only work if there is at least one halogen lamp left in the circuit.

Anyone got any ideas why this might happen. I have circuit of 8 in the kitchen working fine?!

wwaswas

the thread resurrection spammers strike again.

Cougar

I’m closing this now as an anti-spam measure.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘LED downlighting – why 12V MR16 and not 240V GU10?’ is closed to new replies.