Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Led ceiling lights.
  • bearnecessities

Apparently they’re all the rage with the kids at the moment – any suggestions for quality ones that look nice* and give good VFM?

I have absolutely no idea what I’m looking for, just don’t want cheap crap.

*as far as I can think, not with big thick ‘orrible surrounds.

Ta.

busydog
    Free Member

I just installed multiple LED ceiling lights that are enclosed in metal canisters sunk into the ceiling. They are identical in size to the ones I replaced and are dimmable. Also replaced several track light spots with LED as well as all the incandescent bulbs in the house.

They were made by Utilitech, which is sold here in the US at Lowes. Not sure if that brand is available in the UK or not. but a lot of companies making them now.

Much lower wattage than the ones replaced and much brighter.

Edit: Expensive (about $325.00 for the whole house) , but they should last longer than I will.

iain1775
    Free Member

These where recommended on a recent thread
    http://www.ledhut.co.uk/home-page-bestsellers/gu10-smd-led-220-lumens-45-watts-equiv-best-internet-price.html
    Replaced15 halogens in our kitchen and would agree they are at least equal to the old ones
    Replaced another 7 in the bathroom with the MR16 equivalent
    http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/mr16-led-bulbs/mr16-smd-led-20-pice-best-internet-price.html
    I didn’t need a different transformer but you might if your existing ones are not low enough wattage
    6W LED Transformer/Driver – Non Dimmable

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

We have some (from LED Hut) – you must get warm light ones for living areas. I’m very happy with ours.

nickjb
    Free Member

We just bought the £4 ones from Ikea. They seem fine to me. I’ve spec’ed LEDs for the new kitchen but I’m a way off buying and fitting.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I have megaman – mood in my kitchen gu 10 replacements they are superb. Don’t bother with cheap led’s from b&q

withersea
    Free Member

I am tempted to make the change, but need to know if I need to change the housing as well. I’ve got 8 lights in the bathroom on a dimmer switch. Any help appreciated.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Sorry the above should be modo , dam auto correct

busydog
    Free Member

if I need to change the housing as well

I fit mine into existing housing with no problem. When I was looking before buying, I noted packages specified whether they can be used in enclosed fixtures or in “damp” locations and if dimmable.

iain1775
    Free Member

Wither
    email or phone Ledhut, very helpful
    Dimmable ones are available, normally cost a bit more, housing should be fine but you may need a new transformer (see link in my previous post)
    Beic-
    I had two of those Modo ones on trial, they where complete rubbish compared to the ones I replaced them with

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve put the LED hut ones all round my house (every bulb is a GU10!) they seem to work really well. If on a dimmer, you’re going to need a trailing edge dimmer, or failing that, one that will work on a low wattage. Varilight seem to be pretty good.
    All the LED bulbs have fitted into the existing lamp holders, and the only downside is that the house is a little bit cooler without them – I really do have that many that the halogens were producing enough heat to keep it warm!

orangewinger
    Free Member

I’m currently trying a GU10 and standard bayonet bulbs from Megaman. They’re the warm white ones at 2800K and I’m very impressed with them. Quite pricey at about £10 each and I’ve no idea how long it would take for them to pay for themselves.

johndoh
    Free Member

I am tempted to make the change, but need to know if I need to change the housing as well. I’ve got 8 lights in the bathroom on a dimmer switch. Any help appreciated.

I have 240v ones in an en suite using standard bathroom rated housings – ours aren’t on a dimmer so I didn’t buy dimmer compatible lights, but if you want to use the dimmer, you must get dimmer compatible ones.

I believe that some dimmer switches don’t work with LED bulbs at all though so check on that one.

Flaperon

B&Q have more or less got their LEDs sorted. The SMD zones are excellent and they also do an 880 lumen GLS which is a direct swap for a 60W incandescent. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it etc.

globalti
    Free Member

We tried them recently in our kitchen ceiling and found them dimmer than halogens and they had a nasty pinkish hue so we sent them back. Will try again in a couple of years.

tenfoot

I have JCC Fireguard lights built in to my kitchen ceiling. Not overly impressed though, as out of the 9 lights, one has stopped working already, after just 2 months. Back to Screwfix I go.

jag61

i got some (4 gu10) from homebase which are a bit spotty I think 30 Deg. also got 90 or 100Deg from BQ pleased with both but the wider angle is better for us. both in warm white found that 5-7W needed to give similar output to std gu10

29erKeith
    Free Member

jcc fireguards here too, throughout most of the house, some dimmable, most not.

I’m happy with them, a but more expensive then some but a good guarantee (5years, no problems with any of mine yet after a few years) and all in one units 240v with no external transformers. My brother refitted their showroom so got me a big order at a good price too which helped.

withersea
    Free Member

Cheers all will phone ledhut to see what they suggest

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Led ceiling lights.’ is closed to new replies.