Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LED bulb v low energy ? And what LED do I search for this?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just trying to save s bit more money on electricity in the house. We leave the landing light on in the evening for Jnr FD and it’s a low energy bulb but not a LED. Will a led really save much money?

Also we have a ‘decorative’ light that has 6 of these halogen bulbs in. It’s currently a dimmable thing, we only ever use it on full, but obviously you have to cycle through to get full power so I assume whatever LED would have to be dimmable ?

Ta

tish
    Free Member

The lamp above looks like a g4.
    Just search for g4 dimmable led.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much what he said.

My tuppence would be that the savings are going to be tiny going from compact flurescents to LED. From incandescent or halogen you might save a few pence a week.

But it’s all offset against your heating bill. A 100w bulb is 100w your heating doesnt have to do. 50W of gas is about half the price of 50w of electricity, so in real terms if the packet says ‘save you £xxx per year’ halve that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

3 sets of 300W halogen uplighters and my electricity bill sky rocketed but the house was no warmer or no less on the gas bill for heating.

While they do kick out a fair bit of heat, a lot is going in light also. They wouldn’t be as efficient as an equivalent electric heater (which would be as costly to run though, but would heat the room, just not light it).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘LED bulb v low energy ? And what LED do I search for this?’ is closed to new replies.