Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Leccy Toothbrush are they worth it?
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Yesterday when cleaning my teeth I was musing over the benefits of a leccy toothbrush, this morning whilst completing the same task I though “Why” they are a waste of money.

Who uses one and would they recommend it.

Stoner
    Free Member

I definitely would.

I got one from boots 18months ago when they were silly cheap – one of these:

Oral B 5000 Triumph.

It has loads of settings but I only ever use it on one, so I wouldnt spend much on something more complicated than necc.

I used to nickname the oral hygenist at my dentists the Butcher. Brutal wench that she was. Last week at my check up she actually complimented me on the state of my teeth. Very little scraping required at all.

I dont use oral b brand brush heads though, too pricey. Get cheap copies from eBay.

mrmo
    Free Member

to me seem to be better than manual. only thing, never buy at full price, they are always on 50% off promo somewhere, or will be if you wait a week.

RoterStern
    Free Member

And if by magic there is an ad at the top of the page for Oral B electric toothbrushes! I’ve been using one for years as they were recommended by my dentidt so I figured she must know a thing or two about dental hygiene.

wwaswas

I would – as above they’#re always on offer somewhere. It’s like printers – they make the money on the refills, not the product.

I was convinced to buy one of those electic water jet flosser things and wish I’d got one years ago. Teeth feel like you’ve just had a good decoke all the time, not just as you walk out of the dentists.

kayak23

Dear me… People still do it manually? 😉

I like mine. Toothypegs feel much cleaner these days. Think mine is an Oral-B.

nuke

We’ve used the OralB ones for a few years but they never seem to last…definitely worth hanging on to the receipt! Never pay full price, Boots and other stores seem to always have them reduced.

Given the failure rate of the OralB ones, we’re trying a Philips one now. First time with a ‘sonic’ one and I have to say it took me some time getting use to the sensation…couldn’t stand it at first but perseverance is paying off

mrblobby
    Free Member

The batteries on the oral b ones (or at least the one in the photo above) never seem to hold much charge after a year or so and I don’t think they are easily replaceable either (looks doable but a soldering iron job) which is a bit rubbish really given the cost. Other makes any better?

Tempted by one of those flosser jet things though.

imnotverygood

+ 1 on the jet flossers. I was amazed at what comes out having already brushed me teef. 😯

jekkyl

splashed out on a phillips sonicare and it’s great.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Have used the Philips Sonicare brushes for years. Currently using a Healthywhite.
    After the first week there was a definite difference in the colour of my teeth (using the same standard MacCleans toothpaste).
    Teeth feel just like they do after a polish at the dentists.

The timer/mouth zone function ensures that you concentrate on each area of your mouth for the recommended time.
    You don’t need the all singing and dancing functions. I use Clean usually, and Clean and White occasionally.
    There are a number of different heads you can use from the pro range. The Interdental are supposed to be more effective.

You don’t need to press the brush against your teeth that hard, so your gums are less likely to recede.

Last one lasted over four years before the battery died. Unit is sealed, so not user serviceable.

As said above, never pay full price. There are usually offers on in one place or another. They keep coming up on Amazons Christmas deals.
    I picked up 18 months refills in the Amazon Black Fridays deals at a very good saving.

dooosuk
    Free Member

My wife and I both have Phillips Sonicare’s and we’ve had nothing but trouble with them. They all seem to break within a year.

Thankfully we always keep the receipt and Boots just exchange them without any hassle (we always assumed because they were getting so many back).

We must have had about 6 between us now over 3 years.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So… what jet flosser do you folks have? Recommended?

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve been using philips sonicare tooth brushes for the last ten years. I’m on my 3rd now and have never had a problem with them or their battery life.
    My last one was 3 years old and I’d still get two weeks out of it when travelining.

Boots usually do a 50% off at this time of year so it’s worth looking on their site.

I’d never go back to a manual brush now. My teeth just don’t feel clean enough after a manual brush and floss.

Go on, treat yourself 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

never heard of this water jet flossers. am interest.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I made the switch a couple of years ago. I have a Philips, wife has an OralB. My Philips seems to hold charge longer.

Since making the switch, my dentist spends less time “polishing” my teeth during check ups. In fact, time between check ups has now been extended.

crewlie

Was never impressed by the results I saw from people using water flossers, (although patients did say it made their teeth feel great) but electric brushes often made a huge difference. I really miss ours when we go on an extended tour. I wouldn’t bother with a fancy one, but I am a convert to a Sonicare and ours has been reliable (so far).

nickc

With my dental practice manager hat on….

Get one. It’s about the single best thing you can do at home to improve your overall oral health.

mrblobby
    Free Member

With my dental practice manager hat on….

What about the jet flosser things?

zippykona

I bought the cheapest one in Boots last year.
    The dentist complimented me on my brushing. That’s never happened before.

clubber
    Free Member

Anyone found one that is quiet – I’ve stopped using our because it wakes the kids… I definitely am not getting my teeth as clean as they were with the electric one.

The water jet flossers are good if you have very tightly packed teeth and struggle to get floss between them.

andybrad

ive had a few. currently got the one pictured up top. Cost an arm and a leg and tbh i wouldn’t bother again. The 20 quid ones are just as good and after a yea or so are loosing their batteries effectiveness.

thepurist

Got a Philips one years ago on recommendation from my dentist who didn’t even sell them or the brushes. I’ve only had one issue with it which was when the brush spigot came loose but it was easily sorted at home.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Clubber,

The Sonicare HealthyWhite is quieter than my previous Sonicare.
    Even with the bathroom door open it does not disturb our daughter. Shut the door and there is virtually no noise.
    HTH

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks for that Paul. My teeth thank you 🙂

footflaps

I’ve been using Philips Sonicare for 8+ years now, on my 3rd one I think. Really rate them, as does my dental hygienist, and wouldn’t go back to a normal brush.

Last one lasted over four years before the battery died. Unit is sealed, so not user serviceable.

The newer ones are easy to open, screwdriver in the base and it unscrews. You can then drop out the electronic module. The older style had to be split open along their length and glued back together to change the battery.

nickc

The jet flosser thing are good as well. Get your hygienest to show you how to get the best from it though.

If you can’t stretch to an electric brush: brush with a med small head, not too hard for two mins, then floss then rinse with a reputable mouth wash.

Also, the dentist waiting room is not the place to: eat pie, drink vodka, being your dog, try to touch up your missus, or die ( especially the part one, thanks)

mos

Apparently you can get an erm ‘attachment’ for oral b ones.
    NSFW tho.
    http://www.tingletip.com/

gonzy
    Free Member

got given one as a present by my sister about 5 years ago (think she was trying to say something the cheeky cow!) still works and is really good….but i havent used it for a while cos my daughter has hidden the charger so have to revert to old skool methods for the time being

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

This will sound quite contrary but are they not just a lot of landfill? aAl I can think about when I see these things is the waste generated, batteries and plastic etc. It’s a pet rant of mine and very singular one too.
    I have tried to find wooden toothbrushes or at least bio degradable ones to no avail.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

mos – Member

Apparently you can get an erm ‘attachment’ for oral b ones.
    NSFW tho.
    http://www.tingletip.com/

NSFW or NSAtW? depends on the job shirley… 😀

footflaps

This will sound quite contrary but are they not just a lot of landfill? aAl I can think about when I see these things is the waste generated, batteries and plastic etc

The Sonicare ones last a 2-3 years or more and hundreds of charges on one Li-ion cell.

Stoner
    Free Member

how’s that hairshirt fitting, stinky-breath-surroundbynoone?! 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

mos:

“AS SEEN ON THE ALAN TITCHMARSH SHOW”

that is something I did not need in my mind’s eye!

Cougar

I’ve just replaced mine.

Had an Oral B since, oh, the late Jurassic I think. The battery’s not what it once was and I was charging it every other day, so I bought another (on offer, natch) about a month ago.

Of note is that the Oral B heads are all compatible with each other, so there’s zero point in paying a huge premium on one model over another if the only difference is the brush tip. I’m not really convinced of the point in paying over the odds for additional ‘features’, timers and LCD displays and the like either, they don’t get your teeth any cleaner than the entry level models. The new one I got, I paid a couple of quid extra for a black one. Man’s toothbrush.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@ Stoner – it fits quite well after all these years, thanks 😀

PS – is there something I don’t know?

Northwind

My Phillips one is years old now, still good as new tbh. Every dentist I’ve ever seen says get one, and it’s not like they’re making any money off it so no need for a tinfoil hat 😉

Interested in the power flosser things, hadn’t seen that before, I can see professionals won’t want to advocate it as an alternative to flossing but for those of us too bone idle to floss, maybe it’s a good idea?

mudshark
    Free Member
    natrix
    Free Member

I’ve got a really old Oral B that runs on AA rechargables (or disposables I suppose), it’s probably 10 years old at least and still going strong.

globalti
    Free Member

Been using the Oral B rotating head jobs for many years. When I lived in France I went to the dentist for a repair to a broken tooth and afterwards he sent me to see the hygienist. She looked in my mouth, said “Oh!” and sent me home, disappointed at having made no money from me at all.

I have a belief that good oral hygiene affects more than just the smell of your breath; I think it’s one of the last undiscovered health fads – a good oral bacterial balance affects what goes on in the rest of your body, not just your mouth.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Leccy Toothbrush are they worth it?’ is closed to new replies.