Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leccy MTB and and Leccy bike legislation
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

So, today as I’m wandering around Canary Wharf there seems to be a TdF Fan Park in Wood Wharf. Lots of doody outlets, information stands, cycle London stuff and a huge bar and screen to watch the Tour on.. Brilliant.
    However that’s not what this thread is about.

I know we’ve seen this pic of the Leccy MTB before, but I’ve seen it in the flesh now.. It’ll do 50kph and the Guy who’s importing them went up Snowdon on it last week..

Thing is, he said that the legislation around Leccy bikes and restricting them to 15mph has been binned, yesterday it seems the Govt took away that restriction, so no more 15mph law.

Piccy…

[/url] Untitled by bikebouy, on Flickr[/img]

composite
    Free Member

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? 😳

5thElefant
    Free Member

There must be more to it than that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely they come under the same classification as Mopeds* then and riders would need a CBT cert and not allowed on bridleways?

*litteraly MOtorised PEDal cycle,

jackthedog
    Free Member

There must be more to it than that.

Agreed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t know anymore than that.

But the Guy who I was chatting to said that no helmets, as yet, were compulsory.

Also that the GoCycle thingy was capable of 40kph…

petrieboy

Its almost as tho the chap importing these bikes is lying about their legal status or something!

gov link

wwaswas

he said that the legislation around Leccy bikes and restricting them to 15mph has been binned

well that link says that they aren’t speed limited, only that electric assist is not to function above that speed so he’s technically right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I rode one (or very similar) posted a vid on here, I wore a Full Face!! Mental machine, wouldn’t take it out on normal trails though.

cr500dom
    Free Member

How does it work if you do actually have a Full Motorcycle licence ?
    Could I ride a De-Restricted Ped-Elec with a proper helmet on the road legally ?
    (I`m kind of drawn to an Electric assist cargo bike with the ability to take 2 kids on the back) I do feel that 15mph is quite dangerously slow in modern traffic, 20mph on the roadie is bad enough

petrieboy

It would need to meet the requirements for other mechanically propelled vehicles so would need tax (altho zero rated) lights, indicators etc. It would also need type approval and registration. Good luck finding someone to insure it too!!

simon_g

I assume this is what he was referring to:

http://www.bikebiz.com/index.php/news/read/compromise-is-reached-in-etra-s-e-bike-battle-with-european-commission/015108

..which doesn’t change their legal status in the UK. If it doesn’t comply with the requirements in the .gov.uk link above, it’s a motorcycle that needs to comply with all the rules around that.

wordnumb
    Free Member

So what are the rules re electric bikes? Are they allowed on trails and sustrans paths? How can we stop these infidels destroying all that we have built and love?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Leccy MTB and and Leccy bike legislation’ is closed to new replies.