Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leaving the EU could we continue to build LR Defenders for the British Market?
  • lotto
    Free Member

Would we still be constrained to emission/safety laws outside the EU that saw the demise of the Defender Series? Love mine to bits. Love to keep driving them for years to come. I’m guessing though the market would be so small they would be hideously expensive therefore not worth a production run.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are there enough people willing to pay the price or. Is it just an enthusiast gig?

jointhedotz
    Free Member

Just buy a restored one, think there’s a thread with recommendations in on here

oldnpastit

Presumably we could also let the Germans dump all their unsellable VW diesels on us?

aP
    Free Member

Why would any company continue to build for a very. very small market a car which was illegal to sell anywhere else when they’d be able to make more money by building a car which was safe, legal and had the possibility of selling more than 15 a year?

Clover

What planet are you on?

This one, where the air quality needs sorting out or a happy little cloud where particulate emissions are just a figment of a scientist’s imagination?

5lab

I don’t think anyone outside the UK was buying one anyway – they only sold ~1000 a year for the last few years

bails

Tsk, Clover, that was all dirty European pollution, full of Gouda particles and bits of Schadenfreude caught on the wind. Now that we’re free from the EU we won’t be having any of that rubbish. Just the occasional whiff of vicar’s bicycle.

Edit:

I don’t think anyone outside the UK was buying one anyway – they only sold ~1000 a year for the last few years

I’d heard this was the actual problem. They could update it to be safe/clean but they were being made (/sold) in such small numbers that they’d be horrifically expensive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The real problem with the Defender is that worldwide sales where too low to continue. Sadly modern vehciles are more capable in the areas most buyers require.

mikey74
    Free Member

Would we still be constrained to emission/safety laws outside the EU that saw the demise of the Defender Series

I bloomin’ well hope so. It would be an unprecedented act of stupidity and selfishness if we chose to abolish those laws because of petty nationalism.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the real issue over and above safety and numbers WAS

the defender is labour intensive – lots of processes taht could not be automated.

this meant the profit margin was low – and putting the price up wasnt really an option.

Money talks.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

😆 As far as i can remember from when we all worked for ford, and more recently as well, global sales have been in the high teens, low 20s for most of the last 15 years.

1000 cars a year FFS.

Massive cash cow for landrover. 30 thousand quid for a vehicle with virtually no overheads except labour.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

This one, where the air quality needs sorting out or a happy little cloud where particulate emissions are just a figment of a scientist’s imagination?

Is this to do with all that red tape from Brussels that we’re now free of?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Leaving the EU could we continue to build LR Defenders for the British Market?’ is closed to new replies.