• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Leaving s**t permanant job to go to a hopefully better temp job ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Had a interview last week for another job, closer to home , better money etc, just had a phone call to say i didnt get the job i went after as its gone internally But they do have another that they can put me into straight into but only through an agency until another employee finishes later in the year
    question is do i leave a job with security and low pay which i HATE with a passion for something that may or may not work out but its alot closer and better money and more prospects ?
    spoke to wifey and she says go for it as may never get the chance again to get my foot in the door !

Merak

Go for it.

egb81
    Free Member

Yes. Working a job you hate, even with the security, will make you miserable.

toby1

Everytime – life is short and many of our waking hours are spent working – it should really be something you enjoy at least a little bit!

Trimix
    Free Member

Work out how long you can afford to live without your income and how long you think you will be out of work should it not go according to plan.

Then you will have your answer.

Jossie

As others have said, go for it. I was in a similar position and took a 3 month temporary contract, its now coming up to 3 years and no end in sight as yet.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Listen to your missus.

ads678

Do it!

One thing i’m starting to realise is that if you don’t take your chances when they come along your chances seem to come along less and less………..

Edit: That all sounds pretty depressing and i’m actually pretty happy with my lot but do regret not having a go at a couple of things in the past when I had the chance!!

seadog101

You have the chance to make yourself happier. Therefore, you’re probably going to be a better person to work with, which means you’ll be better regarded at the work place, and the company will see that keeping you on permanently is a good thing.

And you’ll be happier at home too, which will make your missus feel all smug and clever for telling you to do it.

hora
    Free Member

Its coming upto the right time to do it (if it does come to an end)- summer is the best time to be between roles.

If you’ve got a mortgage and/or kids though I’d KEEP LOOKING for the same/similar role but thats permanent from the off. Best of both worlds then.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

As Basil Fawlty once said “Zoom! What was that ? That was your life, mate. That was quick, do I get another ? Sorry mate, that’s your lot.”

Go for it. I’ve been in a job I hated too. Best thing I ever did was get away from it.

Plus in these modern days, different roles/experiences/employers on your CV rather than staying in one place your whole life is viewed as beneficial.

So even if you have to move on again if the permie role doesn’t materialise you will have enhanced not only your life but your CV too!

jwt
    Free Member

Regret what you’ve done, not what you haven’t – IE go for it, and if it doesn’t turn out as you imagined………..

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, but for balance…………I actually took a job I enjoyed, moving from one where the boss was a plonker.

All seemed good for a while, till four months later they closed the UK office and we all got made redundant 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

Go for it.

I recently did a similar around Christmas and my physical and mental health has improved no end. IBS has virtually gone and my anxiety levels have dropped significantly.

Staying in a job you hate is soul-destroying and slowly kills you from the inside without you even knowing it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments , gonna phone tomorrow and accept it 🙂
    Have been in this job for over 3 years and it has ruined me, totally soul destroying and i dislike alot of the people that work there , so time for a change me thinks , half the commute, still 12 miles, 2k more and its doable on my bike now and then , which is another bonus 🙂
    Edit : could be the perfect excuse to build a SS crosser for the canal commute !

toby1

Never underestimate the power of a bike commute, especially a traffic free one. I think I could be offered £10k a year more in a new job, but if I couldn’t bike there I’m not sure I’d take it.

This morning was bloody lovely riding in, fresh, bright and just so much better than getting here by car.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have only commuted now and then as its 25 odd miles each way and its a very physical job which normally leaves me filthy dirty and knackered so after that i dont fancy riding home, this is half the distance so should be ok 🙂

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Follow on the previous offer, just been told they aren’t going through the agency anymore , instead have offered me a fixed 9 month contract on more money .. 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

nice one

Merak

Excellent news 🙂

stumpy01

Result!! Happy Friday! 😀

granny_ring

Good news and good luck!

kcal

wahey! flippin’ excellent news that. Karma ?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Leaving s**t permanant job to go to a hopefully better temp job ?’ is closed to new replies.