Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Leaving Sky – PVR & YouView?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

We’ve cancelled Sky TV and will be using freeview/freesat & Netflix (got a Chromecast already).

Need a new PVR but I’m not very well-versed in what’s out there. I’ve seen some are designed around the YouView service, which I like the idea of – but it’s not clear whether it’s had much take-up and is likely to stick around.

Also that seems to need a powerline adaptor to run off an ethernet cable.

Anyone using this? Or am I missing any other options?

peteimpreza

Was just about to post something very similar!!

Do these PVR’s do pause/rewind live TV.

boblo
    Free Member

I usually buy whatever Humax have in their seconds/factory shop whatsit. They seem to last around 2-3 years before something goes kaput. The Humax jobbies I have are You View and do need ethernet/powerline for net access. Mebbies the more recent boxes have WiFi and yes, you can pause and rewind live telly as it buffers the transmission to disc.

Not sure how the channel selections compare between Sky and You View but there’s plenty of moronic crap on You View to keep the idiot in me satisfied 😉

Drac

I was looking at Humax but remembered my TV had Satellite input, plugged the dish into there and then bought a usb hard drive which will record. Works well enough for me.

Might be worth checking your TV.

andyl
    Free Member

youview is excellent. We still have our BT youview box but dont use it for live TV as the rabbit chewed the antenna cable (we use the old sky dish plugged into the back of the TV) but it works better than the TV in terms of smart features. We used to use it a lot of PVR duties as well.

Your other option is a Humax but I prefer the youview. Pretty sure it is being integrated into TVs, at least it is on the new Sony Android TVs.

alanf
    Free Member

Youview has been around for a while.
    Freeview play is the new(er) kid on the block.
    Similar to youview in that you can record and rewind, catchup TV etc.
    I think it’s available on LG and panasonic TVs/PVRs and probably others too.
    EDIT: Loads of others judging by the website.
    There are ads on terrestrial TV for it

Freeview

dannybgoode

Don’t shell out on anything yet. Sky will be on the blower offering you a me contract for such a cheap price you’ll be unable to turn it down.

Trouble is – whilst I could faff around with both the kosher and not so alternatives for Mrs Danny and Babybgoode Sky is just so easy to use compared to everything else that we never quite get to move away.

glenh
    Free Member

Youview is very good, and much easier to use than Sky in my opinion.

Do these PVR’s do pause/rewind live TV.

Of course they do – the Sky box doesn’t do anything unique.

Alphabet

Like boblo I bought a refurbished Humax Freesat box from their website. Although Sky did keep phoning me with cheaper and cheaper offers it was still more expensive over the long run.

pocpoc
    Free Member

We have a BT Youview box that we got free when we had their broadband for 12 months.
    Kept it when the contact expired, no loss of functionality (except BT sport channel gone but never watched it once).
    It’s pretty good to use for both live TV and catchup/smart features.
    Recording is pretty simple. User interface isn’t quite as intuitive as Sky but easy enough to use.
    My main problem is that the smart bits don’t have Amazon Prime video, which means I have to keep using the stupidly slow Firestick and playing hunt the tiny black remote after the children have lost it!

Andy_K

Humax Freesat box on your existing sky dish. I’ve just had a new one now the lounge is sorted. It has built-in WIFI for iplayer etc.

Youview is the name for catchup/timeshifting on internet enabled Freeview (i.e. via aerial) boxes.

Edit: I bought this, but the 1TB version;
    Humax PVR

luket

Your other option is a Humax but I prefer the youview. Pretty sure it is being integrated into TVs, at least it is on the new Sony Android TVs.

Just beware with it integrated into Sony Android TVs that they won’t let you pause/rewind/record live TV unless you disable youview. Some sort of nonsense with licencing youview I believe – the functionality is there, just disabled. We bought a new smart telly 18 months ago and were surprised we were unable to record etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, a few options to consider there.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I was all set to go with a Now TV box but then this happened…

Don’t shell out on anything yet. Sky will be on the blower offering you a me contract for such a cheap price you’ll be unable to turn it down.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ooh, one question – is freesat better than freeview from the aeriel then?

Andy_K

Depends, we have the dish because they only transmit one of the two freeview frequencies here, the one with all the licence fee bits on.

Think you get extra tv and radio channels on the satellite, and you can pick any BBC local region.

cheers_drive

Humax make the BT youview box. We got a refurbished one for less than a straight Humax box.

scuttler

Loads of unused, boxed, still got the plastic ant-scratch covers on BT Youview boxes for about £100 on eBay. No need for BT broadband and work great as catch-up HD recorder, pause live TV gizmos. Fast, intuitive and responsive.

sharkbait
    Free Member

So is the BT Youview box the same as a Humax freesat box in terms of functionality?
    Any thoughts on which has the better interface? <<<<< this is probs the most important

scuttler

Youview uses an aerial rather than a dish. The BT Youview box is a Humax unit and functionality is much the same as other Humax freeview recorders. No idea about interface quality on current Humax boxes but older ones were good, and the BT T2100 has a great interface, loads better than the LG Smart TV I have which is glossy but slow and requires lots of clicking and scrolling.

Decent review here – https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/set-top-boxes-on-demand-tv/bt-youview-box-review-2014-3507739/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Leaving Sky – PVR & YouView?’ is closed to new replies.