Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Leaving drinks, but worried about tab.
  • unovolo
    Free Member

Quite glad I don’t live/work in that londonsville sounds like they have all got it arse about face.

Everywhere I have ever worked then left the drinks have been bought for me, personally I’d buy them a couple of bottles of whitelightning and a party pack of straw’s and leave them to it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m betting this practice started with swanky city trader-types and has now become the fashion down there for everyone.

London is a very, very odd place.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m betting this practice started with swanky city trader-types and has now become the fashion down there for everyone.

London is a very, very odd place.

That’s old hat down here in that London, now it’s about buying bottles of champagne but only pouring a glass and leaving the rest to go flat.

hora
    Free Member

£400/is nothing when beers are £5+, wine £7+, doubles 8/9+ etc a pop.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I think that London and the City are two very different beasts. I have not been to leaving drinks where the leaver has to pay.

hora
    Free Member

Kinda stops anyone tight from leaving.

I don’t think I’d ever leave. 😆

edhornby

if you set the tab lower, then the wnkers will leave faster

anyone arriving late who you know and want to buy a drink for, you ask them when you see them

MrSmith
    Free Member

‘Mrs Smith’ is having her leaving drinks tomorrow. 3x nat ave wage/London ad agency/creative types (one of STW’s many piss boiling targets along with immigrants/dole scrounges/estate agents/bankers etc)
    But it’s everyone buying their own or small rounds depending on who is ready for a drink. So I conclude from one anecdote and a bit of hearsay that it’s the grim north with the peculiar work drinks practice not the braying obnoxious fake cockneys and their abundant wealth.

I would imagine most people just buy a round and the huge bar tab is a thing for city traders which despite internet rumours do not make up a significant proportion of the 9million people who live in the capital.

The smart thing to do would be late for your leaving do and have to leave after an hour for family/dog/train/any excuse and then arrange a drink with the handful of people from work that you have any respect for/things in common with at a later date once you have actually left the company.

caspian
    Free Member

whitelightning

Arrgh beaten to it!

soobalias
    Free Member

trust.
    if i was lining up to pay a £400 bar tab, i would be expecting to buy the staff a drink or two each anyway.

put it in a restaurant and most people would think that a 10% service tip was acceptable – £40 (mentioned up front) in drinks will see to it that your tab is accurate.

Cougar

if i was lining up to pay a £400 bar tab, i would be expecting to buy the staff a drink or two each anyway.

If I was lining up a £400 bar tab, I’d expect it to come with a free girl.

Seriously, maybe it’s a North / South divide thing, but I think I’d be dodging that sort of leaving do whether I was the leaver or the free drinks scrounger. At best, I’d decline the tab and buy my own beer.

It might be different on London wages but that’s a week’s salary for me. To buy a load drinks for people who are acquaintances at best and mostly only ever talk to me when they want something fixing? Screw that, with knobs on.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

were certainly not swanky city trader-types – just hairy arse engineers, well more polished arse engineers but you get the dirft. and theres no champagne and cocktails either, just London Pride!

were all contractors on a project by project merry-go-round and will all more than likely end up working with each other again at some point so you dont wanna get a reputation as a tightwad. shit sticks and can hold you back, any of these blokes could be a lead on the next one!

im suprised by the outcry tbh, like i said its one or two expensive days a year but the rest of the time someone else is paying! its a good system – if you like a beer anyway!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Nearly always found it to be “leavers treat” if you’re off for a promotion/better opportunity and I’m nowhere near city boy wages.
    Just seems obvious to buy the team you’ve worked with a meal/drink before you leave for greener fields, and as has been mentioned you’ll probably end end working with them again some day in most professions – guess it’s different if you’re in the trades

Cougar

were all contractors on a project by project merry-go-round

Ah, right. So it’s probably a couple of hours’ work to pay for it rather than a week’s wages. Makes more sense. (-:

br
    Free Member

were all contractors on a project by project merry-go-round and will all more than likely end up working with each other again at some point so you dont wanna get a reputation as a tightwad. shit sticks and can hold you back, any of these blokes could be a lead on the next one!

Agree, plus you’ll be expensing it anyway.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve mostly worked for London based consultancies and often go out for drinks and there’s always a tab Usually it’s a manager or the client picking up it up but if its someone leaving then they do – though I was lucky once and a manager said he’d sort it. Have to watch people trying to put food on it though!

It’s a cultural thing.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Leaving drinks, but worried about tab.’ is closed to new replies.