Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Leaving a bit if stitch in
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I had two stitches in the top of.myhead. rather than bothering the nurse at work, i borrowed her scissors and tweezers over the holiday, the wife would cut and pull them out.

First one no problem, second one she got in two small sections and thinks she left.some behind.

All tools were sterilised. Am i going to end up with some sort necrotic skull eating infection or is a bit of stitch nowt to worry about?

scotroutes

I had my appendix out when I was 11 and was finding bits of stitches coming out years later

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it wants to come out, it will find its own way.

nedrapier

I had a thick, half centimeter thorn in my shin for about 6 weeks. My skin formed a little hard lump around it, then a spot which I knocked the top off and then dug out the thorn with a needle. This was a month or so ago. Leg is still attached, I remain undead not dead.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had a thick splinter, about 1mm thick and 15mm long stuck in a hole in my leg that had been made by a much larger piece of wood during a bike/ground/leg/tree incident at Cwmcarn. I found it when I tentatively picked a scab some weeks later. The one end was wood-like, the other had been bleached, gone completely soft and appeared to be dissolving.

I’d imagine your stitch would do the same thing… but I am not a nurse 🙂

submarined
    Free Member

Stitch abscess – it’ll probably work it’s way out, like a splinter. The ones in my lip did 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Last time I had a carpal tunnel op I went to the nurse to get the 5 stitches removed ‘properly’ and then spent the next two weeks picking more and more bits out as my hand decided it didn’t want them. I don’t reckon she got much more than half of any of them out.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The stitch left in my shoulder went septic and i had to have a course of leaches to draw out the puss.

avdave2

Back in the 60’s my dad was stitched by a very new junior doctor who it appeared had never actually stitched a living person before. My dad decided not to risk also being the first person he’d ever removed stitches from and got my mum to do it.

I myself just couldn’t quite bring myself to remove the dissolvable stitches that didn’t dissolve after my vasectomy. Had they been anywhere else then I’d probably not of troubled the practise nurse.

Xylene
    Free Member

BAnana i had a very large leech between my little toe yesterday, got to about the size of my thumb, very impressed how much blood came out of it after a squirt with iodine spray

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have a stitch in my eye that has been there for about a decade
    Not dead yet

alpin
    Free Member

Years ago I was stood on a trestle with a nail gun in my right hand and tentatively holding onto a joist with my out stretched left, on tip toes nailing in a noggin. The nail hit a knot, kicking back the gun and I half lost my balance, but managed to steady myself. It was then I realised my left thumb was kinda attached to the joist.

A massive splinter had gone through it, entering near the finger nail and coming out the other side.

Went to hospital and the doctor split my thumb open all the way to the bone and went rummaging. Bled like crazy, she figured she had found it all and she sew it back up.

Stitches out no problem.

But every few months after I would get a small white pussy lump work its way to the surface. I could feel it over the weeks getting nearer. This went on for about a year. Even two years later I would get an occasional puss/lump thingy.

Then about three years later my thumb was hurting. Could feel a large lump working its way to the surface. So I sharpened my chisel and opened my thumb up. I pulled out a lump of wood about 8mm long.

ton

got 2 big stitches in my chest from when they opened me up for heart surgery. proper big stitches 2. need to get em removed because they hurt if I catch em.

Marge
    Free Member

I was talking to a colleague this morning and he is just back from the removal of some >10 year old stitch remains from a tendon repair in his finger.
    They didn’t dissolve / find their way out and a lump formed around the remaining bits.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I got shot in the elbow with an air rifle when I was 13, the pellet had to be dug out & I had 7 stitches. After the stitches were taken out I couldn’t fully straighten my arm which was a bit odd. A couple of months later a ‘scab’ appeared which of course, had to be picked. It turned out to be about 1″ of stitch. I could straighten my arm out after that.

BigJohn

I knew a guy who still had shrapnel in his leg from WW1.

He’s dead now. So I’d get that stitch removed just in case.

metalheart
    Free Member

I had stitches in my face after it got cut during a motorcycle accident.

They left a bit of stitch in, it got infected and I had to get it removed. and some antibiotics to calm it all down.

That was 30-odd years ago and I’ve lived to tell the tale… 😉

jamj1974

course of leaches

. Blackadder (TM). 🙂

I had a fingertip that felt a bit tender every now and again but no visible inflammation at all. One day I pressed the fingertip and a strand of brake cable about 15mm long came out of the end of my finger… 20 odd years later, I still have the finger.

njee20
    Free Member

Can I just say… pus. Not puss.

I mashed my knee up on an unseen rock in a muddy race, got infected, stitches burst, got pulled out. All healed eventually, but for about a year I was getting bits of grit floating to the top that I obviously had to dig out.

A friend once fell on a pool cue, which went into his armpit. Some while later he got a dark boil type lump on the top of his shoulder, he popped it and pulled out the piece of t-shirt the cue had dragged in.

The body is amazing at expelling foreign bodies it doesn’t want. You’ll be fine.

onehundredthidiot

Split eyebrow playing rugby, 16 stitches, took them out myself. (Not as easy as I thought due to being unsighted by my own hands and waving a scalpel at my own eye) . Got most of them, after learning the “pull the knot end rule”. I’m mostly alive.

senorj

You’ll be right or get cat aids. 50/50.
    I was also impaled by a tree branch .
    It bounced off my shin and went through to my calf. When the wound was stitched it looked like a pasty. One year later a boil formed above the ankle, opposite side to the wound…when the boil popped, a 10mm piece of wood popped out. Bleached ,like flotsam , as molgrips describes.

jag61

it seems to be quite common, I had op in 1980 to fix sub arachnoid last bit of stitch worked its way out by 2010 cant complain I’m still here 😀

Cougar

I myself just couldn’t quite bring myself to remove the dissolvable stitches that didn’t dissolve after my vasectomy. Had they been anywhere else then I’d probably not of troubled the practise nurse.

I’m totally convinced that was the reason you went back to the nurse.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Leaving a bit if stitch in’ is closed to new replies.