Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • Leave your car warming up while you go back in the house?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like another be let down.

Never been much of an issue in the landy or any ford I’ve hired with it.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

trout – Member

I had a loaner VW T6 a few weeks ago which had the heated screen
    bloody terrible in the dark with the filaments showing up in the oncoming lights and flaring badly
    certainly put me off any heated screens in future vans

No issues in my Evoque, doesnt inhibit my view in anyway.

Love it in a morning, takes about 30secs to 1min max to totally melt/demist the screen.

No need for preconditioning the car malarky, sit in it with heated seats which heat up in a matter of seconds as well, oh and the heated steering wheel. 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Warming your car up, or cooling it down by smartphone app is yesterdays tech. 7 series BMW’s, S class mercs and Audi A8’s have had that for a few years. Give it a few years and it will be a standard feature on any car just like electric windows.

About 3 years ago I was in Dubai and a guy I worked with did this. Started his car up from the office via app about 30 mins before we left, so when we got to it it was ticking over in the car park, A/C blasting out cool air so we got into a nice cooled car from 40+ degs instead of a sweat box. I suspect if you did this with an electric car the battery would be dead before you got to it – unless it was plugged in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t mind my heated screen in the dark, but in thick fog it’s pretty annoying.

Re cooling the car, the Prius has (or used to have) an option of a solar panel on the roof that powered the fan (although not the A/C) indefinitely to keep the air reasonably cool in the sunshine. £1500 though, iirc!

Murray

The one in my old S Type was rubbish at night, the ones in the X Type and Grand C Max are fine. Perhaps the non Ford ones use an older version?

vickypea
    Free Member

We can’t park in our street (double yellow lines) and don’t have a driveway, so I deliberately bought a car with a heated windscreen. It’s brilliant!

winston
    Free Member

“Warming your car up, or cooling it down by smartphone app is yesterdays tech.”

Yep

…walks downstairs….”Alexa start car 1 climate control please”

revs1972
    Free Member

Otherwise you could get pissed up and doughnut your old 3-series around Tesco’s car park with impunity

Oh what a night that was

maxtorque

wwaswas
    I’m not denying that electric vehicles *can* run on electricity beyond fossil fuels but they’re not automatically any more green

Well, other than the fact they can recapture KE from their mass when you brake (your ICE can’t do that), they are much more highly optimised for a lower road load (unlike your draggy ICE), they don’t need to be warmed up and they don’t use hugely more energy when cold (unlike your ICE), they get more efficient the slower they go (unlike your ICE) so are still efficient when stuck in traffic, but yeah, other than those things, you’re right……….

slowoldman

knobulator

😆

hot_fiat

just seen a video from a mate – he’s used the tesla integration to get his Model X to report how charged it is and start the aircon up through Alexa. very neat piece of integration. supposedly you can also summon it to drive itself out of the garage to your front door via alexa.

@molgrips: oil definitely heats up after the water, which is what I’d expect – the path the water takes round the head, block and turbo is explicitly designed to take heat away, while the oil’s main function is to provide lubrication, to bits that don’t really get that hot (apart from the turbo, but theres an oil/water cooler on the outflow from the blower).

jamesoz

Yep the engine oil in my car takes roughly twice as long to reach ideal temperature as the coolant.

Whoever said oil pumps don’t work when the engine is not under load is talking out of their hat.
    The oil pump is driven by the end of the crank and the oil will actually be at its highest pressure in a cold engine.
    The oil pressure in my car is limited to 5 Bar (ish) by a prv and as the engine warms it drops to 3 to 4 Bar at idle.

RustyNissanPrairie

I seem to have ended up with the best de-ice vehicles known to anyone outside of the artic circle – Transit with Eberspacher and timer, Volvo petrol that heats pretty much immediately and winterized Defender with heated screen!
    Almost seems a shame to never use them and cycle to work!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good to see this “willy waving” mentality is alive and kicking.

“Well my car…& my car does….”

What a load of boring tosh you lot spout.

bearnecessities

What a load of boring tosh you lot spout.

Surfing!
    Look I’m surfing!
    I’ve been surfing!
    You should surf!
    etc

🙂

olly2097
    Free Member

Our fiesta’s quickclear is fubared. Gutted. Almost tempted to get a hole punch and smack the screen with it to get another on the insurance. Tsssk.

I’ll be honest. I’ll start the mondeo, quickclear on, heater on full, heated seats on full and go inside and get uniform on for work.

A. It’s worth diddly squat.
    B. It’s on a private rear drive in a rural area.
    C. It’s nice to get into.

I have to do it as it’s majorly wet inside for some reason. Can’t find a source but it smells slightly damp and the glass is wetter than an otter’s pocket. Takes an age to dissipate

jimjam
    Free Member

Blocked drainage channels ?

jkomo

Fill old bike water bottle with hot tap water.
    Start car, whilst holding breath, put blower and rear screen on.
    Pour water on, quick scrape, do side windows, put wipers on.
    Done and clear in 3 mins max.

pondo

My routine on cold mornings is as I’m taking the dog out I run an extension cable from the shed to the car, plug in fan heater, walk dog, have coffee, then car is warmed up and good to go.

FTW.

T1000
    Free Member

Press button on remote or preset time in car or on app and built in webasto pre heats car deices, etc

As it heats the coolant as well the car doesn’t refreeze

alpin
    Free Member

My older T5 has a Webasto heater. As above, either press the remote or set the timer.

Doesn’t help clear the 9″ of snow, mind…

zippykona

Even though we have a heated screen I thought I’d give the hot water bottle a go. Gave it 15 on driver side and 10 on passenger.

anagallis_arvensis

My Mrs is now a convert to the hot water bottle trick. She said that those wierdos on the internet finally came up with a good suggestion..

Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘Leave your car warming up while you go back in the house?’ is closed to new replies.