• This topic has 72 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Least rated beer that is actually rather good?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fuller’s ESB or Waddies 6X.

ahwiles
    Free Member

It’s not fashionable, it’s not very hoppy, or strong. You can even buy it in cans.

Marston’s pedigree.

(One of the few beers I can still drink without getting a crippling headache)

endurogangster
    Free Member

Carling – the best beer!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qwerty
    Free Member

Carlsberg….. well, probably :mrgreen:

aracer
    Free Member

Budweiser

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Banks’s Mild.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Pedigree and 6X not rated? Not cool enough for the Fashion Tarts!
    In the same vein, Hook Norton OLd Hooky and Everards Tiger.
    Grandad Beers for all the family!

Lifer
    Free Member

I for one welcome the fashion tarts! Even 5 years ago there wasn’t nearly the selection of ‘proper’ beer in most (non-offie) shops. The tiny Co-op near me has Doombar, Whistable Bay, Bengal Lancer, Old Crafty Hen, Golden Hen, Hobgoblin, and 4 or 5 more that I’ve forgotten. Definitely not complaining!

cinnamon_girl

I’ve always liked 6X, even before I had a brewery tour. London Pride is my fave tipple though, hoping there’s a bottle in the cupboard for this evening. 🙂

sandboy

Banks’ Bitter at 89p at Aldi. If you like a traditional English bitter, it takes some beating at that price!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Marstons IPA (‘selected for Morrisons’) 5.8%, quite nice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member
    Banks’s Mild.

Yer….ryght…. 😆

I think it depends on how thirsty you are. I’m not a fan of Old Speckled Hen but if I walk to the Rising Sun near me that’s what they sell… Tastes like shite but with the view and sunset it’s quite sublime. 😐

fenred
    Free Member

Greene King IPA Gold. Straight from the fridge, decanted into a glass tankard, natch! Sorry CAMRA 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The dark Leffe in Paris this weekend is delicious

leffeboy

American Budweiser, but only of you are in the US. Here it can be a bit week and tasteless but if you are somewhere hot and you are just back from a ride it is perfect

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Yer….ryght….

I think it depends on how thirsty you are. I’m not a fan of Old Speckled Hen but if I walk to the Rising Sun near me that’s what they sell… Tastes like shite but with the view and sunset it’s quite sublime
    As the thread is titled least rated, well done. 😆

m360
    Free Member

Guinness.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fosters

Murray

Budweiser Budvar
    Shepherd Neame MasterBrew

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Fosters

Fosters. It’s actually made from the urine of dead weasels, (& sometimes live ones) It’s so shit that 3 mates of mine took 18 cans to a bothy with the intention of drinking them all but actually left 12 for the next visitors. If I’d called & found Fosters & I’d have tipped it out, squashed the cans to take home & done without.

It’s ok though Dave, I knew you were kidding!

thenorthwind

Doom bar

beej

By “least rated” do you mean “mainstream non-craft”?

I’ll nominate Hobgoblin. It’s a solid 7/10 on my scale.

Sandwich

Theakstons XB

jimdubleyou

ESB is too strong for a big session. Loads of people love London Pride, I can just about tolerate it.

Hobgoblin is horrible, but Hobgoblin Gold is lovely.

My vote goes to Brakspear Oxford Gold.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s ok though Dave, I knew you were kidding!

Fosters; I grew (am still growing) up on the stuff. Tastes ok to me. It’s got to be well chilled though. Budweiser OTOH; had a bottle of it the other week; hadn’t drunk it for years; it doesn’t taste of anything?!

bigjim

McEwans Export!mmmm

Duggan

Landlord is well nice though not sure if it’s generally maligned or not

spud-face

I’ve lately taken to bottles of Birra Morretti when life leads me to a wetherspoons. If I’m only having one drink then I sadly just don’t trust them to have kept the ale properly and the brewery not to have been playing silly buggers with the artisanal flavours, and their lager on tap is shite. I’m not fussy, it just got to the stage where 1 in 3 ales I tried in any pub were rank not to my taste. Dunno if Morretti’s rated over here or not, but I can’t recall ever seeing someone else drinking it. It’s everywhere in Italy mind, but so is Tennent’s Super so what do they know?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Boddies. Cream in a can. Can’t beat a 4 pack with a curry. Our local doesn’t have a license, so much better than the cobra/kingfisher crap that you have to pay through the nose for at most places.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Doombar for me too.

allfankledup

Hobgoblin gold +1

When I lived in Devizes, the favourite Wadworth tipple was IPA, 6x was for outsiders.

Saccades
    Free Member

Lech – seen as a pissheads drink ireland and is dirt cheap.

It’s a really nice smooth lager – preferable to the big brands (And doesn’t give me a hangover).

matt10214
    Free Member

Stones!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Tennents.

bubs

Harveys Best anywhere outside of Sussex (or weirdly Redhill).

donks
    Free Member

Defiantly banks… Sold very cheaply for bottled ale but no worse than most at over twice its price. 3.8% is fine for weekday drinking these days

househusband
    Free Member

Tesco, even in Fife, were selling Badger’s ‘Tanglefoot’ ale for several months and I got through rather lots of it this year, a pound a can too.

Heineken, only the Dutch brewed stuff mind, works for me for lager.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Hobgoblin here too, £1.29 in Lidl and sometimes Asda, cannae whack it.

chojin
    Free Member

+1 London Pride

Tis my favourite of the supermarket stocked ales.

geoffj

Staropramen is hard to beat as a low cost option.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Least rated beer that is actually rather good?’ is closed to new replies.