• This topic has 81 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by core.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Least owned bike on here – hybrid?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Bar odd/specific stuff like track bikes, tandems, what is the least likely to be owned by an stwer?

Seems to me to be a hybrid – the bike for the non cyclist.

Is that a cake?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d wager there are more hybrids used by STWers than you might think. Commuter bikes, etc.

I’d say recumbents are the rarest! Are there any STWers with a ‘bent?

lilchris
    Free Member

Road?

tomhoward

Road?

Probably more of them than MTBs…

My guess is 20in trials bikes.

Mods/STW folk, poll?

cynic-al
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I’d wager there are more hybrids used by STWers than you might think. Commuter bikes, etc.

I’d say recumbents are the rarest! Are there any STWers with a ‘bent?

bentcooper

I think we’d need to define “mainstream” – easy to think of odd bikes like ‘bents, trials, etc that are too stupid obscure

ton

full on dh bikes…..utter uselessness

Houns

27.5er

muddydwarf
    Free Member

One of my bikes is a hybrid, its a comfy ride so its going to become my tourer.

MrSmith
    Free Member

There must be loads of hybrids on here? They call them cross bikes, MTB-commuters or road-rats but they are essentially hybrids.

kcal

I’ve had a hybrid (Marin Point Reyes) for the last 12 years possibly? Used it for commuting (when I had a work to go to) and touring about (including Bealach na Ba challenge). Latterly used it for shopping, deliveries, and with a bob-a-like was excellent for fetching firewood / recycling.

Now passed on to my lad, who’s used it for general jaunts, doing cycling as part of Duke of Edinburgh, he loves it as a flat barred road-ready bike..

midlifecrashes

Proper town bike? But then I bought it from another STWer so maybe too common?

cynic-al
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    There must be loads of hybrids on here? They call them cross bikes, MTB-commuters or road-rats but they are essentially hybrids.

No, they are not. Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What MrSmith said. Hybrid is basically a bike thats not as good on road as a road bike and not as good off-road as a mountain bike. AKA, a cross bike.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

And I’d like to bet the least owned bike is a beach styleee cruiser. Singlespeed, roller brake, flat pedals etc. I have one.

molgrips
    Free Member

My commuter is not a poverty-cool speed machine thrown together from old parts. It’s an entry level off-the-peg hybrid (ok so it’s been upgraded for speed!).

It’s fast and very effective in the city though 🙂 Better than a road bike because the brakes are way better, it can cope with off-road, potholes, kerbs and rough roads much more easily on 38c tyres, and it has full rack bosses so it can carry loads of stuff.

househusband

Penny farthing would be my guess…

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’d wager it’d be a Kronan/Dutch bike.

Not sure what I’d wager though.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My hybrid is a Boardman jobbie, 700cX28, hydro discs, 50/36 – 11-32 gears and flat bars. Fast enough to get along, comfy enough for all day.
    Just need some pannier kit now..

soobalias
    Free Member

rode bikes in short supply

convert

folder?

leccy bike?

gordimhor

trike?

TiRed

Errr. There is a KMX recumbent trike in the TiRed fleet. Rarest bike? Pedersen would be my guess. Or an ordinary. Oh how bad do I want one of each. And a Baron lowracer.

If it’s a bike, it’s great as far as I am concerned. I thought hybrid = rigid 29er, no?

schmiken

Full-sus MTB tandem!

The missus and I have a Ventana which we love.

MrSmith
    Free Member

No, they are not

I think they are. I see them (fake-hybrids) as pandering to MTB sensibilities, bikes for those who would be better off with a hybrid as road and cross angles are too steep, brakes ineffective and tyres just too skinny but don’t want to be seen buying a hybrid.
    What better to choose than a rigid slack angled hard tail with disk brakes with handlebars nice and high? If it comes from a MTB manufacturer they trust even better. 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

Great, now I know what bike to buy, thanks for telling me what to think 😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

STW’s least popular bike = Whatever everyone was riding 12 months ago. Probably 26″ steel inbreds.

MrSmith
    Free Member

“What to think” ?
    It was an opinion not the Ten Commandments of cycle buying 😕
    You think what you like, thankfully our forefathers fought and won against an oppressive regime to allow you that liberty.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Gt Fury. Etc.

Edit: Oi, Paul, I just bought a 26 Inbred :d

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Edit: Oi, Paul, I just bought a 26 Inbred :d

Call the fashion police 🙂

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I even got the Yorkshire Rose on special offer to remind people how ultra niche I am.

I’m so hip, i’ll remind everyone that “my other bike is ALSO an Inbred”.

andyl
    Free Member

Seems to me to be a hybrid

Plenty of people on here have 29ers….

postierich
    Free Member

Phat bikes IMHO yet to see one on a trail yet!

RustySpanner

cynic-al – Member

Bar odd/specific stuff like track bikes, tandems, what is the least likely to be owned by an stwer?

Seems to me to be a hybrid – the bike for the non cyclist.

‘I am a cyclist, whilst you merely ride a bike’.

You sir are to cycling what DezB is to music. 🙂

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve got a hybrid. I managed to squeeze 1.95 29er tyres on it. It’s my hack bike.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

To my mind what defines a bike as a hybrid is the sit up and beg geometry on a bike designed for comfortable urban riding. They’re often cheap and heavy with components a cycling enthusiast wouldn’t choose due to weight, servicing, or performance reasons.

Therefore I wouldn’t class your flatbar racers, sportives, tourers, or commuter built variants such as cross bikes or parts bin bikes as hybrids because they all seek to avoid the worst characteristics of a hybrid, especially the geometry.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I bet I am not the only one with a trike. Uprights of course.
    2 actually.
    How about prewar bikes? Anyone else?
    anyone have a Sunbeam trike?

molgrips
    Free Member

To my mind what defines a bike as a hybrid is the sit up and beg geometry on a bike designed for comfortable urban riding

Look up Kona PhD

nedrapier

Someone on the commute asked me about my Peregrine at the lights a while ago. I might have pulled a face when he said “oh, so it’s like a hybrid, then?”

He’s got a point, though.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Molgrips, it’s a flatbar racer with some 105, which is a commuter option for people who don’t want a hybrid. My post already explained why I don’t personally consider that a hybrid.

Stick a threaded stem extender on there with a massive rise, a crappy suspension fork and seat post, massive saddle, a bottom level mtb/tourer chainset, mega range cassette, etc, and that’s the kind of BSO I’d consider a hybrid.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry, flat barred road bike = hybrid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Least owned bike on here – hybrid?’ is closed to new replies.