Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Least favoured riding conditions…
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Is pi55ing down with rain and blowing a hoolie and I still have the remnants of a cold so I’m staying inside. What I can’t work out is the worst riding weather. Is it rain coz it’s wet? Or is it wind coz it can make the flat feel like a 25% hill?

I was out on the road yesterday in the wind although strong didn’t impede me, but I was just plodding.

One can buy the appropriate protection against the rain.

Both are 5hite, but which is worse?

BigJohn

I don’t like riding in the wind – because if it’s windy I’ve missed a great opportunity to be out sailing.

I love it in fine misty drizzle. Your lungs and throat get lubricated in a way nothing else can manage to do.

swisstony
    Free Member

don’t mind the rain, once your out you don’t seem to notice it much but wind can really sap your enthusiasm.

For me though, really hot is the worst.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I think you answered your own question there??

I just relish the opportunity to get out in what ever the elements are putting in my way.

As you say – you just need the right protection be a waterproof or sunscreen!!

donsimon
    Free Member

The heat I love, I generally don’t have problems at 30-35ºC, just take plenty of cold liquids. Rain, I suppose you only get wet once…

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

wind and rain. Thet just destroy any enthusiasm.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ice is all that really freaks me. Wind and rain are fine. Ice is sneaky, some can be grippy, others treacherous.

While out night riding last winter a mate, slipped while standing, having ridden over sheets of ice all night, and broke his ankle.

I’ve crashed and slid on a stone encrusted icy covered downhill. Think huge sheet of ice rock/sandpaper. Shredded myself and clothes.

senorj

Wind .

and setting off in a wind assisted monsoon.

Mackem

wind everytime. Cyclinf in the rain can be fun, a srong wind just pisses me off.

qwerty
    Free Member

minefields

joolsburger
    Free Member

Deep snow – Just can’t ride in i.t I know others can but I’ve no idea how, just don’t get any traction.

Everything else is just a question of the right clothes and venue hit the woods when it’s windy!

ahwiles
    Free Member

rain in winter, and i mean winter, not lovely late autumn / early beautiful spring.

-20 and dry is fine, keeping warm is easy if you’re dry. 0degrees and raining is just horrific.

alpin
    Free Member

yup… cold rain. once the rain gets into my shoes my feet are then fecked.

can’t remember the last windy ride i had. i was surprised at how windy the UK is when visiting the other week. central Europe/Alps isn’t comparable….

OCB
    Free Member

Winter, heavy rain, riding on a busy main road when the evening commuter flow is at it’s peak and everyone is cold/wet/miserable and just wants to get home.

Nobody can really see anything out of steamed up car windows, and the road surface / raised drain covers / white lines conspire to make it scary and vile.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive just been out on a 3 hour road ride, must have been 40mph winds for the whole ride except for the up the 25% hill where it was really calm and the sun was scorching. I had to stop and take a drink from a stream cos it was so warm (wore a base layer, mistake!)

I’d say it was worse climbing the 12.5% hill near home due to the massive head winds than it was climbing wrynose pass.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bank holidays

wombat

Hot and/or windy 🙁

crazy-legs

I can ride in heat without problems, in fact out in Greece I was in my element while everyone else was collapsing in the shade!

What I hate is cold and wet. Cold and dry is fine, I’m happy in -15 (like last winter) when it’s all dry but I really suffer if it’s cold and raining. Worst is being at work and seeing it raining – it’s OK if it starts raining while I’m riding but actually putting on all your kit knowing that you’re going out into the rain is awful.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Least favoured riding conditions…’ is closed to new replies.