Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Least bad sub 200 quid bike?
  • rj
    Free Member

I’m struggling a bit with this one. A chap at work has asked me to recommend him a bike. He’ll be doing around 3 miles each way twice a week on the road and his budget is 200 quid max. Second hand isn’t an option as he’ll be paying for it with his work health acount and so needs a shop receipt. I’ve had a quick look about, but I can’t see anything for much below £300; can anyone recommend something that won’t put him off cycling for life, or do I just send him to Tesco?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Carrera special!

Worth a look, reduced from £399.

grum
    Free Member

Decathlon is probably the best bet IMO

ton

decathlon bike are good for that kind of money.
    or revolution stuff from embro coop.

stumpy01

Carrera Subway.

tomd
    Free Member

I had a look at some sub £200 bikes in decathlon when I was looking for a getting to work hack a few months ago. They looked absolutely fine, there was one about £150 that looked passble, which would be £200 once he added in mud guards and other basics. No need to spend more if it’s just a few miles.

GrahamS

Got any local bike recycling charities?

They’d be able to supply something pretty decent for £200 and still give a receipt.

acsevens

Decathlon definitely worth a look if you have one local – I had a Rockrider 5.1 for child carrying duties. Cost £99, rode absoltuely fine, very durable – don’t think I spend a penny on it for a couple of years.

toys19
    Free Member

I’d be tempted by a single speed, those viking steel ones or a create one, I’ve ridden both and they are not bad.

toys19
    Free Member
    paddy0091
    Free Member

Carrera Subway. Those Viking bikes are horrendous. ^

toys19
    Free Member

paddy, have you ridden one? They are surprisingly light, and my mates is 18 months old has done 6 miles a day without needing any attention.

kayak23

Teman singlespeed/fixed, on ebay for £200

antigee

and my mates in is about 18 months years old

am i right?

i’d head for decathlon though not in every city – go outdoors do some hybrids at that sort of price point ali frame claud butlers – also evans in their sales mongoose/raleigh?

What GrahamS said. Anything like this near you ?
    Best place for a fully checked and serviced second hand bike with a receipt.

toys19
    Free Member

antigee – Member

and my mates in is about 18 months years old

am i right?

What is your point caller?
    He is 43 and commutes on it every day having got fed up with his previous 400 quid halfords BSO/POS costing him 100 quid a year in repairs to the gears.

antigee

What is your point caller?

that other than the young and fit most new to commuting would like some gears – bit like your mate did to start with?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I would go second hand rather than new

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had one of those Viking’s – they’re a ‘Citi-fix’ model and available on ebay for around £160 including postage.

For the price, they are excellent. I rode to work on it for nearly 6 months (13 miles each way, 2-3 times a week) and it was fine. Yes, the frame is hi-tensile steel but that’s not as bad as everyone makes out for road riding. Aside from that its all serviceable stuff. The hubs are better sealed than my Trek SS, the brake calipers are unbranded Tektro style dual pivots, it has chain tugs so there’s no slipping nuts, and the riding position is fairly stretched for good riding position when you need to wrestle it up a hill.

They are good simple serviceable bicycle and would be ideal for a 3 mile commute, assuming its not too hilly and the rider has a basic level of fitness.

toys19
    Free Member

bit like your mate did to start with?

Is it the fact that there is a keyboard and and a monitor between you and the real world that makes you so arsey? Or are you like that all the time. I like it. We could be friends.

3 miles is not so far that a single speed might be ok if the hills are not too bad. Anyway its easy and cheap to get a smaller front or bigger rear to make his commute cheap and comfy. My pal chose a geared bike because that as what the halfords bloke steered him to when he went in to buy a bike.

rj
    Free Member

The Carrera looks like a good bet. Not sure how he’d get on with drops and also I’m a bit unclear as to whether EBay is allowed under the health account rules.

mav12
    Free Member

COSTCO MAY BE WORTH A LOOK IF YOU HAVE ONE LOCAL

tymbian
    Free Member

Go for the one with the red chain.

MrTall
    Free Member

Forme from Rutland cycling?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/42014/Forme-Brute-Men-s-Hybrid-Bike-Sale.html

Good value at £180 and basic cable discs as well. No cheapy suspension forks so should be light(ish) for the money.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I think the Viking is available as a straight handlebar version also. Do a general search on ebay for Viking bike and lots of options should come up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Least bad sub 200 quid bike?’ is closed to new replies.