Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lease Cars – Diesel v Petrol – economy/environmental/cost debate
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

Trying to make sense of the wife being offered a lease car for her work at NHS. She’s doing 10000 miles a year.

They get paid well for the first 3000 miles, then 13p/mile thereafter for using your own car, which she does now. So not economical now to have own car.

Apparently Lease car is the way to go, but last time we got stung by losing 8 years no claims bonus after a 3 year lease car, as she’d used works insurance as standard!!! apparently I can avoid that this time.

So we agree an economical car is the way forward, but today she claims she has read that diesels are killing the planet, so it HAS to be a petrol.

Does anyone know if there is a real issue with diesel?

…. anyone know of a good economical car with an upright position? I did try a Peugeot 207, but her back hurt in it! so looking at B-Max next for an upright position. We have an old S-Max and it is great for us + 3 kids + dog + bikes, so Ford was the first thought.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I assume you mean you are getting a private lease / salary sacrifice through the NHS? All the Trusts I have worked for stopped given ‘company cars’ years ago.

If it is through NHS Fleet Solutions/Derwent etc just go on the website and try various types of car, it does necessarily work out that the cheapest rrp car is the cheapest to lease.

Look at low emissions cars, and even prestige brands. I got a BMW 3 Series Touring for less than a Seat Leon ST because it has low emissions and will be worth more than the Seat when handed back.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Funkydunc +1

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

but today she claims she has read that diesels are killing the planet, so it HAS to be a petrol.

Seriously.! Consumerism and an exploding population is “killing” the planet. In the grand scheme of things leasing a derv powered car is going to be like pissing in the ocean.

If she is really that serious about the planet then the least she can do is run her old motor into the ground before considering a new purchase. Failing that sell everything and live off the grid in new mexico or something.

sofatester
    Free Member

If she is really that serious about the planet then the least she can do is run her old motor into the ground before considering a new purchase

This.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

good points well made people.

PePPeR

I’d say she’s right tho, diesels emissions are dreadful (all the dpf’s and emissions equipment are a crock of old crap, especially when driving in cities, hence why even though they are bringing in more and more stringent emissions for vehicles the air quality is still getting worse).

Less to go wrong on petrols wait till euro 6 and we’ll be sticking urea into the exhaust systems.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Try a mini countryman (not the 4×4), the 2 wheel drive version, Good seating position, girlie, (wife loves hers), comes with the mini tlc service pack, holds the value well too. Petrol is economical too, the wife gets 45plus mpg.

T1000
    Free Member

Petrols not so great either…. It has 25% more embodied carbon than diesel in the production processes….. The calcs used to determine emmisions are fundementaly flawed as they ignore the embodied CO2

fubar
    Free Member

She may be referring to air quality and asthma problems being associated with diesel… example

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lease Cars – Diesel v Petrol – economy/environmental/cost debate’ is closed to new replies.