Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Learning to Kayak
  • matt_outandabout

Open boats are a bit single speed. Beards and sandals.

You could of bl**dy well told me, been chucking myself and groups at work down all sorts in the ‘wrong’ boat for years, without a beard. (but I do have some sandals, although I wear them in the kayak)

River Orchy, Easan Dubh by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Dagger Prophet, Chicken Chute middle Orchy by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

River Dochart canoe by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Abernethy Ardeonaig by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

River Awe canoe by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    (OP – get on a course. Where are you, I can recommend a good few great coaches)

Etive by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Etive by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

righog
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

😀 Great Pics.

Note to self… Get arse in gear

jam-bo

that invader looks a ‘snug’ fit. wouldnt fancy getting out of that in a hurry…

agree with the N+1 but lack of space means I’ve just bought a dagger axiom which is pretty good at a lot of things.

got a share in a canadian too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Whitewater canoe – 10ft high uni cycle.

My unicycle is waiting for the thaw…. 8)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

What is the best kayaktrackworld equivalent? Have been thinking of getting one myself lately.

matt_outandabout
    itsallgood

+1 for UKRGB. Just don’t mention fishermen / access..

Coaching, try Ken Hughes / Stu Gibbon for NE coaching. I can put you in contact if needed, otherwise PYB or Glenmore Lodge. It might be worth just going to a local Watersports centre for a 1 and 2 star course, as you’ll be with a group at the same level and could develop a group of boaters from there.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/stu.gib.7

Dave

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Your invader looks similar to the perception dancers etc that revolutionused kayaking away from flimsy fiberglass boats to the polyethylene bomb proof beasties we have now.
    If memory serves me well you may find it initially a little tippy as the hulls cross section is slightly rounded. But as old kayaks go they’re ok. Not too dissimilar to current cross over kayaks like my Pyranha fusion.

Good luck.

jam-bo

Nice day on the river today…

http://www.strava.com/activities/38712548

bearGrease

sea kayak – Audax bike.
    Whitewater Playboat – bmx.
    Whitewater creekboat – downhill bike.
    Crossover kayak – hybrid bike.
    K1 – Time trial bike.
    Canoe – Off road tourer.
    Whitewater canoe – Off road tourer setup for the iditarod.
    Sit on Top – Plain gauge steel hardtail.
    Inflatable Kayak – Brompton.

I like it:
    Squirt Boat – An Iron Maiden crossed with some water-boarding

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

bikes vs kayaks/canoes…

you have a problem;

on a bike you pull to the side of the road, walk home or maybe call someone.

on the water, you drown or die of hypothermia.

similar sport, i’m a qualified stand up paddleboard instructor. it scares the heck out of me that someone can buy a paddleboard and go straight out on the water, even worse in surf – that happens a lot in cornwall these days.

and besides safety, most folk who’ve been paddling self taught can’t actually paddle anyhow. same with canoeing/kayaking, heck i’ve had canoes since i was about 10 and a few years back i did a bcu level 1 with my local club and learnt more in a bunch of saturdays than i knew was possible sitting in a bit of tupperware. same with swimming… all the same thing… reach, catch, pull, release.

jam-bo

Good point. I had a simple mistake turn into a long dangerous swim on a spate river before.

At least with a bike once you’ve had the crash its over…

righog
    Free Member

I got out today for for a bit of self teaching…. 😳

and besides safety, most folk who’ve been paddling self taught can’t actually paddle anyhow. same with canoeing/kayaking, heck i’ve had canoes since i was about 10 and a few years back i did a bcu level 1 with my local club and learnt more in a bunch of saturdays than i knew was possible sitting in a bit of tupperware. same with swimming… all the same thing… reach, catch, pull, release.

I know were you are coming from with this I have been riding for many years,but my technique is almost non-existent. I still have fun though, but would probably have more with some lessons.

At least with a bike once you’ve had the crash its over..

My broken ribs hurt a long while after the initial crash ( but i did walk away)

You could of bl**dy well told me, been chucking myself and groups at work

Do you run courses Matt ? If so are they Ok for Fat old men ?

matt_outandabout

Do you run courses Matt ? If so are they Ok for Fat old men ?

Where do you live?
    Local to me suggestion (and worth traveling to paddle with as they are brilliant, both canoe and kayak)
    http://www.beyondadventure.co.uk/

unsponsored
    Free Member

righog where in the NE?

I’m based on Teesside and run http://www.unsponsored.co.uk loads of boaters around here.

I can recommend Ken Hughes. Great guy, great paddler. Did a 1st aid course with him years ago.

matt_outandabout

Ken is ace too 🙂
    http://www.kenhughescourses.com/

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Matt and Unsponsored. I will check them both out. Teeside an easy enough drive for me. It wont be for a little while yet as I will a 10 week lay off from riding etc after an op tomorrow. But at least the weather might be a bit better ( not that, that puts me off)

Thanks again 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Learning to Kayak’ is closed to new replies.