Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Learning to drive
  • TheFlyingOx

10 hours. £100. 2 minor faults. Of course, that was Sheffield 15 years ago, but it can be done. Just find a driving instructor with a free schedule.

miketually
    Free Member

No, you didn’t read… I said that the speeding driver was paying full attention in this scenario i.e. it’s simply about attentive driving over the speed limit vs inattentive driving within it.

If he was doing 120 as he went to overtake a car doing only 60, he wasn’t paying attention.

There are situations in which it could be perfectly safe to do 120 on the motorway. This scenario doesn’t describe one of them.

The consequences of every mistake made by the person doing 60 is made considerably worse by the tit driving too fast.

Olly
    Free Member

There is a large accident caused by two people driving badly. But it would have been the lack of observation before changing lane that caused the accident, not the speed. Remember, you would automatically fail your test if you did anything that would cause another driver to have to alter course or speed

Mr “60 in the middle lane” is within the law!

and LOTS of people do 60 on the motorway.
    I have often done 20 on the motorway, or stopped.

Olly
    Free Member

also, Mr 60, is doing 10mph difference from everyone else.
    Mr 120 is doing 50mph difference.

Its not rocket science.

if you are talking about speed, you are correct, speed doesnt kill.
    Speed differential kills.

oldnpastit

Lifetime ban for people with numbers in their name. Problem solved!

mrmo
    Free Member

how about, anyone who wants to drive, just ban them, those who don’t want to drive give them licences?

saxabar
    Free Member

I passed relatively recently after spending two months learning one or two hours a week. Check the details of one/two week intensive courses. Their guarantees aren’t all they’re cracked-up to be. My advice is to learn intensively over a couple months, or even one at a push.

Re. the best you’ll ever drive – my driving is much better now I’ve done a few longer five/six hr journeys. I’m fresh enough to do the checks, manage speed, remember to indicate and generally not be slack. OTOH I’m more relaxed on the road and do not need to think about controls at all.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you do it as like a x day course and get the whole thing over with in less then a week or similar?

I would hope not.

Why not?

I took a lesson a week for a few weeks and passed first time. IIRC I did about 14 lessons of 1.5hrs each (It was 15min drive into town each way so I got overtaking practice too) so I had about 21 hours driving before I took my test. A week course could easily be that much time or more spent driving.

It all comes down to do you want to learn to DRIVE, or do you just need to get from A to B… i.e. Attitude! If you want to learn to be good at it, you’ll do fine.

Then go do your advanced test after you’ve got a couple of hunderd thousand miles under your belt….. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Or you could take four years, three instructors, eight tests and god knows how much money to do it, like my wife.

She passed on Saturday morning though.

🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Or you could take four years, three instructors, eight tests and god knows how much money to do it, like my wife.

She passed on Saturday morning though.

…Congratulations? 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

We did have a drop of bubbly last night.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

good luck!

but when you pass make sure you use your indicators, it semes to be a lost art these days!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Learning to drive’ is closed to new replies.