Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Learning to drive
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Thinking about finally learning how to drive. Can you do it as an x day course and get the whole thing over with in less then a week or similar? If not, are there any ways/companies that are worth looking out for? Based in Portsmouth/Exeter area.

donsimon
    Free Member

Can you do it as like a x day course and get the whole thing over with in less then a week or similar?

I would hope not.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

After your response to my thread realman you want to learn to drive in <week!!

RealMan
    Free Member

I would hope not.

Someone was telling me that’s how he did it, but was quite a while ago. Not sure if you can still do it that way. Googling hasn’t helped much.

donsimon
    Free Member

I would hope not as in the best way to learn is with experience, there is enough of a problem on the roads without having some buy your licence scheme.

lizzz
    Free Member

Type ‘learn to drive intensive course’ into google and you’ll find some.

RealMan
    Free Member

Brilliant – cheers.

uplink
    Free Member

You need a crash course

andrewh
    Free Member

What lizzz said.
    Helps if you can drive before you do one, if you have the option of taking a banger around a field or even an old airfield that would be useful first, get your car control sorted then go out on to real roads.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You can do them sort of, but you’d want to have passed your theory test before starting one.

yunki
    Free Member

they run a lot of intensive driving courses at the Westpoint exhibition centre in Exeter..

defintitely an ineteresting thing to do alongside regular driving lessons perhaps to help speed things up maybe..

RealMan
    Free Member

Cheers yunki. Forgotten about that SBZ. Just did the multiple choice practice online, seems really simple, except for the trailer speed limit questions 😕

Olly
    Free Member

Yes you can. I would say its not the worst idea.
    whether you do a crash course, or a normal long term course, they say you only start REALLY learning to drive, once you have passed!

then again, if you have no deadline, and have someone who can drive, has a car, and can spend the time letting you drive them everywhere, the more experience you have the better.

I learnt at 21, and was unemployed post uni. My dad drives for a job, so I chauffeured him for several weeks.

Basil

Not learning to drive. Learning to pass a test.

RealMan
    Free Member

Not learning to drive. Learning to pass a test.

If it makes you feel any better, that’s all I want. I have no intentions of actually doing any driving once I’ve passed. Looks really dull tbh.

Basil

The problem with the UK system is you have a pass. Whoop whoop. Then your out here with every other arse with a licence.

Olly
    Free Member

are you in devon, it seems to me licenses are given out in Christmas crackers down here 😉

Northwind

don simon – Member

I would hope not as in the best way to learn is with experience, there is enough of a problem on the roads without having some buy your licence scheme.

The only difference between “normal” learning and intensive learning is the timescale- you aquire the same pitiful amount of experience on your way to the test. Ridiculous to call it a “buy your licence scheme”.

transporter13
    Free Member

Makes a change that someone actually wants to drive legally…its all to common these days for people not to bother with any such thing as a licence, insurance etc

samuri
    Free Member

they say you only start REALLY learning to drive, once you have passed!

Pfft! You only REALLY start learning to drive, about 5 years after you’ve passed your test. 😉

The thought of a crash course terrifies me. It’s not passing your ITIL course, it’s people’s lives. In your hands. As a youngster, I’d have welcomed being forced to display a P badge, being forced to only drive low power cars for a set period, being forced to be re-tested after a year or so…

But no. Pass my test, drive any car I can afford to insure. And I had a 1275GT within a year of passing my test, and that thing could corner faster than a ford cosworth and after I’d messed with the engine, could outrun an XR3i.

Of course, nowadays the insurance companies ensure young drivers break the law by putting the premiums so high that it’s cheaper to drive without insurance and take the hit (sic) when you do have an accident. They could have worked to manage the risk to make the world a safer place but because all insurance companies are in league with satan, they took the FU path. Ho hum.

What a strange world we live in.

Northwind

transporter13 – Member

Makes a change that someone actually wants to drive legally..

Overstating much? Unlicenced driving isn’t very common, and is largely down to people who’ve been banned carrying on and people exceeding their licences (which includes riding on CBT without L-plates among other fairly trivial offences) Only around 3% of crashes involve an unlicenced or underlicenced driver (and the stats suggest that they’re 3 to 9 times higher than average to have a crash, which leaves us with 1% to 0.33% of drivers being unlicenced or underlicenced, and between .5% to .16% having never held a licence.

Sure it’s too many but it’s not common by any stretch.

Olly
    Free Member

being forced to only drive low power cars for a set period, being forced to be re-tested after a year or so

bullsh*t. The morons wafting up the motorway in 61 plate audis at 120 are the mooktards who need to be enforced into using low power cars.

i think EVERYONE should have to retake their test every 5 years.
    and the process of law enforcement is a risk assesment.

Probability of being caught x Consequence of being caught

Both are low, so certain people don’t see the problem with driving like wizards sleeves.

they cant put the probability up without spending money we don’t have.

so put the consequence up.

If you knew that if you were caught speeding AT ALL, you would get a 5 year ban. and over 100 is a permanent ban, how would you change your driving?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The modern driving test is much harder than the previous incarnations. Suggests to me that drivers who pass their test now are much better equipt than we were. The day people pass their test is the best they’ll ever drive, unless they take further training. It’s the monkeys that make up their own road rules that are dangerous.

zokes
    Free Member

If you knew that if you were caught speeding AT ALL, you would get a 5 year ban. and over 100 is a permanent ban, how would you change your driving?

Speed kills. However, poorly skilled, inattentive driving is far more dangerous. Funnily, this isn’t as policed as it’s much harder to do.

I’d rather a mocktard paying attention come flying past at 120 than some moron pratting about with no awareness of their surroundings at 60 in the middle lane

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I passed the most recent test this year, its much harder and equips you better than the test I failed 8 years ago. The Written part is still to easy though.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

It all depends on your ability.

I went out a few times on a provisional licence with my brother teaching me and then did a 2 week intensive course and passed first time.

I am now the bestest driver on the road.

miketually
    Free Member

If I ever learn to drive, it’ll be on an intensive course. Only way to do it with my job, really.

mrmo
    Free Member

I’d rather a mocktard paying attention come flying past at 120 than some moron pratting about with no awareness of their surroundings at 60 in the middle lane

and what happens moron with no observation skills doing 60 pulls into fast lane with rep doing 120 closing on them?

zokes
    Free Member

and what happens moron with no observation skills doing 60 pulls into fast lane with rep doing 120 closing on them?

There is a large accident caused by two people driving badly. But it would have been the lack of observation before changing lane that caused the accident, not the speed. Remember, you would automatically fail your test if you did anything that would cause another driver to have to alter course or speed.

RealMan
    Free Member

The thought of a crash course terrifies me. It’s not passing your ITIL course, it’s people’s lives. In your hands. As a youngster, I’d have welcomed being forced to display a P badge, being forced to only drive low power cars for a set period, being forced to be re-tested after a year or so…

Don’t the armed forces, police, paramedics, etc. all get trained intensively?

miketually
    Free Member

There is a large accident caused by two people driving badly. But it would have been the lack of observation before changing lane that caused the accident, not the speed. Remember, you would automatically fail your test if you did anything that would cause another driver to have to alter course or speed.

When Mr 60 looked in his mirror, that Audi looked like it was a long way back. Except it was going almost twice as fast as it should have been.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

When Mr 60 looked in his mirror, that Audi looked like it was a long way back. Except it was going almost twice as fast as it should have been.

Mr 60 should be checking his mirror to see that he’s not misjudged the gap and Mr Audi would have plenty time to brake.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What’s Mr 60 doing leaving the middle lane in the first place?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Dunno – do you know what was in front of him?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Remember, you would automatically fail your test if you did anything that would cause another driver to have to alter course or speed.

would you fail you test because of someone doing 50 mph above the limit?
    You oull safely from a junction someone comes round the corner doing 80 in a 30 zone and has to break would surely not result in your fail.
    SBZ any ideas
    I agree it is an error by both but the 120mph is asking for trouble tbh.

mrmo
    Free Member

Mr Audi would have plenty time to brake.

You forgot Mr Audi is on the phone talking to customers so not actually paying much attention to the driving thing.

Yes both are at fault, but i don’t want to be a) involved in the ensuing carnage, b) held up because of some stupid driving.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

JY – If the person taking their test got upto speed quickly enough when pulling away from the junction they’d be ok, if they dilly dallied they’d fail.

In the motorway scenario, it’d have to be dual carriageway for a test, they would probably fail despite the car going way over the limit. However if the learner was doing the speed limit they’d be ok.

konabunny
    Free Member

I blame New Labour.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers SBZ

zokes
    Free Member

You forgot Mr Audi is on the phone talking to customers so not actually paying much attention to the driving thing.

No, you didn’t read… I said that the speeding driver was paying full attention in this scenario i.e. it’s simply about attentive driving over the speed limit vs inattentive driving within it.

What’s Mr 60 doing leaving the middle lane in the first place?

In this instance, being an inattentive driver. Lots of people doing 60 in the middle lane are…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Learning to drive’ is closed to new replies.