Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Learning the keyboard
  • Jase
    Free Member

Is it possible to learn to play the keyboard without lessons, i.e. by using books, online resources etc?

Was thinking of getting my 7 year old daughter a ‘proper’ keyboard (not one from Toys R Us but a casio/Yamaha, although nothing expensive) but would like her to learn proper tunes rather than just knock out ‘noise’.

Is this possible or am I asking too much?

Ta.

BlobOnAStick

On the whole I’d say no.

I re-started the piano back in July after having lessons every week for about 5 years as a kid. I picked it up fairly quickly back to a point not far behind from where I’d got with lessons (basically just about grade 1.)

Does your daughter want to play? (I mean really?) or is it your wish?

It can be a really long grind to get anywhere ‘good’ (i.e. beyond single-finger nursery rhymes) and trying to do that from internet websites is tricky – you will usually have to pay and be able to rely on a certain amount of self-criticism in order to spot where you’re going wrong and correct it (even then you may not really understand what it is you are trying to learn).If she already reads music then she may pick it up much more quickly, but there’ll still be techniques that she’ll need to be instruced in.

In my experience, playing an instrument is a skill that needs time, patience and lots and lots of practice. Doing that without proper guidence is going to be tricky.

My kids have been having a go using an elementary ‘teach yourself’ music book and some hints and tips from me. After 6 months they can play ‘When the Saints go marching in’ with the right hand. But then I didn’t buy the piano for them so there’s no pressure from me for them to play it.

I pay 15 quid per half hour for my lessons every couple of weeks (which might be slightly expensive from what I’ve heard).

Hope this helps.

What keyboard were you looking at?

Ben

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Wife just (two days ago) found hers from years ago stashed in a unit the family use.

She’s 7.5 months pregnant so can’t get around much so is getting back into it – it’s an old Yamaha but it’s SO well made – even the stand could withstand a nuclear attack I reckon. Not many functions but touch sensitive keys (the louder you press them, the louder the sound) and pretty convincing sound. I was impressed anyway.

The little ‘un loves it and I’m finding listening to Mrs Matt practise rather therapeutic! She’s pretty good – I had no idea!

Jase
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, sounds like lessons would be the way to go.

Not really gone as far as looking at specific models just had a quick look to ascertain taht they can be picked up around the xmas present from grandparents price range!

I can’t really be sure if she really wants to play. We went away for a weekend recently and the cottage had a piano, our daughter wouldn’t leave it alone and could pretty much play a tune about a female dear. It wasn’t perfect but you could make out the tune.

She must have learnt this at school.

perhaps the best path is to start with some lessons and take it from there, I’ll see how much they are locally.

oddjob
    Free Member

Lessons are the only way to go I’m afraid and if she wants to be any good, there are many hours of practice ahead as well 🙂

DickBarton

Yes it is possible but it isn’t easy…

Where are you based? Get yourself along to your nearest Yamaha Music School – she will have a free lesson and this will let the teacher know what level she is at – the teaching there is different to the stuff at school – it follows the way we learn to talk – we hear, copy and repeat…once that is done, the other stuff with music is introduced (whatever that is)…

It is possible but it also makes it very difficult as without the knowledge/understanding of what you are learning, it’s hard to know if you are learning it…

Jase
    Free Member

Looks like lessons are £10-£12 here so sounds like that is the way to go.

Thanks.

DickBarton

Depends on what you go for – individual lessons are more expensive than classes (which can be up to 8 people of the same ability)…they learn from each other and the teacher and it seems to work well…

For the money – Casio have the most options but the sound is really poor – Yamaha don’t have the most options but do have the best sound to them.

Drop me a line if you are interested in a Yamaha instrument (I’m meant to be getting a price for a drumkit as well but my bloomin wife keeps forgetting to check!!!).

BigJohn

The lessons aren’t as important as the need to have done your practice by the time the teacher comes round again. That’s the real source of improvement, and making sure you get 15mins daily playing.

If you want her to play a proper tune – there’s usually a demo button…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Learning the keyboard’ is closed to new replies.