Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Learning a language – Norwegian
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I work with quite a few Norwegians and I wouldn’t mind working there at some point myself. So I’ve decided to give learning the language a go.

I did German and French at school, and from memory got a b at GCSE German. But I hated the learning process which seemed to be very text book based.

For now I would be happy with a moderate speaking and listening ability, does anyone have any recommendations for the way to go? I’m thinking of maybe trying one of the listen and repeat things?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Try duolingo, a free app, which seems to do Norwegian. My elder son and his friends really recommend it.

piemonster

Babble does it fairly cheaply.

I’m using it now and it’s really nice to use. http://www.babbel.com/norwegian

Pricing here http://www.babbel.com/prices?utf8=?&learn_lang_iso=NOR&country_iso=GBR

It’s been a while since I looked at the duo lingo option but I’ll have a mooch about today and compare the two for you. There both in Bokmal btw.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

Here comes a STW classic reponse…

Why on earth learn Norwegain.. ?

They ALL speak brilliant English …. 🙂

Just learn a few phrases

Skol

Tusen takk

wicki
    Free Member

memrise
    rosetta stone ..expensive

piemonster

Why on earth learn Norwegain.. ?

Well yes there is that.

But…

It’s another Germanic language. If you get Norwegian you take big steps to getting the other Germanic languages, especially Swedish and Danish (Norsk but spoken like you’ve got a potato in yer gob)

Anyway, it’s quite enjoyable really. Has zero practical use in my life.

schmiken

I lived in Norway for a while and the most important phrase you need to know is:

To øl og han betaler!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

If you get Norwegian you take big steps to getting the other Germanic languages, especially Swedish and Danish (Norsk but spoken like you’ve got a potato in yer gob)

Yes to Swedish and Norwegian being alike but Danish? No chance!

Good luck to you.

As to why, well I found it embarrassing that as soon as I’d walk into a meeting every one would switch to English, yet I was in their country.

If you’re planning to work there, as opposed to just with them, then go for it.

mogrim

Get a Norwegian [boy|girl]friend (delete as appropriate).

Otherwise I’d say go for it, learning something new is a great idea.

teacake
    Free Member

Expose yourself to the sounds of the language by listening to the radio and podcasts. Just having it on the background at work or when travelling is a great way to pick it up – especially with any simple dialogue like radio phoneins etc.

Memrise is good but tbh I found just getting out and listening and trying speak the language was far more effective. Plus loads of the phrases in Memrise seemed to be straight out of the 1970’s (though I was learning Swedish).

Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, trust the words that come to your mind. You have a huge advantage that your colleagues will understand English grammar better than you so when your Norsk grammar or vocabulary is out they’ll still get it.

Be warned though – if you meet someone and speak English with them, they’re likely to only ever speak English with you. The opposite is also true IME. I had lots of friends who I’d speak Swedish and they’re reply in English – must have sounded odd to passersby!

Motivation will determine how much you learn so be honest whether you’ll stick it or not.
    Enjoy!

neilco
    Free Member

Good luck.

I lived in Denmark for eight years, wife is Danish, daugher is notionally Danish. I can speak justr enough to get by, yet anytime I try, everyone near me just speaks English back at me.

Yes, it is a germanic language, but not in a way that will help you speak German. Structure is similar and a few of the words are the same, but that’s it.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Accept that however good you get, people who don’t know you (waiters, people in shops etc) will always speak to you in English.

Another +1 for Duolingo, except if you have an underground commute as it needs an internet connection to mark your answers.

Once you get good enough to understand, try watching Norwegian TV with Norwegian subtitles.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I lived in Norway for a while and the most important phrase you need to know is:

To øl og han betaler!
    Don’t have access to any translation sites, but unless that translates to “How ****ing much?” when ordering a beer, I might disagree.

Marin
    Free Member

My mate’s lived and worked there for7 years and hardly speaks a word. But he does own a nice yacht. Very nice plave to go sailing every year.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Don’t have access to any translation sites, but unless that translates to “How ****ing much?” when ordering a beer, I might disagree.

Close.

”Two beers and he pays!”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Learning a language – Norwegian’ is closed to new replies.