• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nre.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • leap frog or other tablet for my 4 year olds
  • oxym0r0n

Girls are coming up to 4th birthday and oh is looking at the leap frog for educational games etc. We don’t have any other tablets in our house, so wondering about getting something I can use too.
    Anyone else done this? Any recommendations for games? Lots of the ones I have found on google play seem to be UScentric with an annoying accent…

bigG
    Free Member

There’s plenty of kid friendly content available for the ipad, and an iguy makes it safe from the usual abuse kids hand out.

dannybgoode

An iPad for a 4 yo?! Sounds expensive as they are bound to break it one way or another.

bigG
    Free Member

Two and a half year old is currently keeping herself content with a peppa pig game on my wife’s ipad,,,, not expensive if its the whole family that use the ipad.

stumpyjon

Leapfrog tablets have pretty limited appeal for many kids, they can see straight through the edumacational stuff. Ours would rather use a proper tablet or phone. Did get our 5 year old a V Tech innotab, doesn’t get used much and the quality isn’t great, he uses his mums galaxy tab 2 more. The other ones 9, did think about getting her a tablet, decided on a Kindle for her which has worked really well, she reads alot.

In your position I would get a proper family tablet, probably not an ipad, kids can use it but you retain control. You may end up getting 2, we did.

Tiger6791

Leapfrog is rubbish, just avoid it.

We have several of their mock items (camera / game boy / laptop) all gathering dust.

iPad is best
    We have £80 Android tablet which okay also though

Tiger6791

Oh and if you don’t like US centric Leapfrog is 100% American

loddrik
    Free Member

My girls are going to be 4 and 8 in November. Both getting ipad minis. Not altogether comfortable with the 4 yr old getting an iPad but if the eldest gets one then nothing else would do, especially as their birthdays are on the same day so they’ll open them together.

Tbh they’re always on my ipad anyway and both have ipod touch’s so its kind of the only logical step really. I’d have looked at a nexus 7 but we are all tied in to ios so it makes more sense.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Nabbi is great

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My girls had leap pads when they were about 4 and they loved them. Games are very simple but kids don’t mind that. They are now a few years older and still occasionally play with them. They do chew through the batteries though so get some rechargeables.

I won’t get them iPads for a few more years yet, though they have access to mine.

dude
    Free Member

We bought our son a cheap android tablet for his 4th birthday. He uses it a lot, playing games and stuff on it. And we can put youtube vids of cartoons on it for him. Got a couple of different drawing apps on it as well, and it is doing wonders for his hand – eye coordination. Plus the school he goes to uses tablets as well, so it has got him used to operating some of the basic stuff on them. We looked at the price of kiddies tablets, but looked at the price of the games to go with it and decided we couldn’t afford them.

twoniner
    Free Member

Nabbi is great

This,

I got one of these for my daughter, do pretty much everything a normal tablet does. Nabi’s good for maths, english and so on.

oxym0r0n

Thanks folks – had a look at the nabi 2, which might be the way to go (although reviews on amazon seem to be at 2 extremes!)

clubber
    Free Member

My son broke two more expensive tablets…

I got him this in June for his 5th birthday for £35

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0099NPR4S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378653995&sr=1-1&pi=SL75

It works well and it hasn’t broken. I won’t be spending more on a tablet until he’s a fair bit older.

I use the kid mode app by zoodles to control what he can access and that works well on this tablet as well as my phone and tablet.

wozza180
    Free Member

Nabi 2 is great got one for my 6 year old, loads of educational stuff loaded on it and tough as nails, also parental control is second to none.

nre
    Free Member

Bought a couple of cheap-ish (£65 each) android tablets last Christmas for our then 4 and 7 year old daughters, they have been great. Well recommended, games are either free or very cheap, and as they get older they’ll be able to do other useful stuff with them too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘leap frog or other tablet for my 4 year olds’ is closed to new replies.