Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Leaky vehicle tyre/wheel problem…
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Vespa GT200 (Modern one) that has a leaky wheel.

I’m saying ‘wheel’ becasue it’s not a punture. The same thing happened with the previous two tyres. It’s not been used for 2 weeks and the pressure has dropped from 32psi to 10psi. In use it needs checking every few days.

Now, historically Piaggio (Vespa parent company) have had issues with leaky wheels, I beleive that some alloys are slightly porous, and I had a Gilera (same company) that did the same some years ago to both wheels, just not quite as quickly: It needed checking once a month.

Now, when I had the new tyre fitted I asked them to check the rim to make sure it was sealing (decent shop, I trust them) and they said it was fine, but there could be other issues i guess. (not the valve, that’s fine)

So, up on my shelf I have a bottle of Stans tubeless tyre sealant, if you catch my drift…. D’ya reckon that would sort it?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Worth a try. what’s the worst that could happen…

Are you sure the valve is fine?

molgrips
    Free Member

By all accounts it works a treat. I asked this and several on here said they’d used it to seal full on punctures.

I have a slow leak on the Prius, I’ll put stans in it next time I pump it up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Zed, well, unless it’s coming out round the valve stem, yes I am sure!

Molgrips, yes that’s what I was hoping!

Del

sure. usually a tyre place will paint some gunk on the inside of a porous wheel for you though? surprised your guys didn’t do this.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Del, I didn’t know such a thing was available!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think I’ll just chuck the Stans in. 125ml should do it, right? 🙂

wwaswas

We used one of the Holts ‘puncture fix in a can’ things on my wifes Beetle as the steel wheels had gone slightly porous. We were gettign the tyres changed and the guy who fitted the new ones recommended it. Probably a bit more than 125ml of sealant solution in there though.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Not sure what the penguins about but thats what came up in google 😐

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just a thought, if its the wheel rim, rather than the tyre, how will you get the sealant to seal the rim? If the wheel turns, centrifugal force will spinn all the sealant onto the tyre, away from the rim.
    I’d put it an a barrel of water ans see where the air escapes from.
    If its the rim, could you paint the inside to seal it?

molgrips
    Free Member

When you drive slowly gravity will spread the sealant over the inside of the wheel, and the escaping pressure should force it through the leak.

It seals the bead on bike tyres after all.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d put it an a barrel of water ans see where the air escapes from.

I knew someone would suggest that! 🙂
    If you knew what a right royal PITA is it to get the back wheel off, you’d b e tempted to try something else first!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sorry PP, I assumed it was a front. Yes rears aren’t very easy to remove!
    Get an old bathtub and throw the whole damn thing in there. 😈

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get an old bathtub and throw the whole damn thing in there

That would be easier, yes!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

UPDATE:

So I stuck the Stans sealant in there (125ml) and it seems to have worked. I checked the pressure after a week and it had only lost 1-2psi and 3 pumps from my track pump had it back up to pressure, so that’s virtually perfect. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Leaky vehicle tyre/wheel problem…’ is closed to new replies.