• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Leaky RS785 caliper, options?
  • geordiepaul
    Free Member

So my front caliper appears to be leaking. Poor braking and loud squealing coupled with what looks like fluid behind one of the pads.

Could warranty it but really can’t be arsed to send the caliper back to madison. All the RS785 calipers appear to be out of stock everywhere. Can I use another Shimano caliper like an XT?

jonk

You can use any other Shimano caliper to replace it XT would be an equal exchange in terms of pistons etc.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Hose mount looks slightly different on the XT caliper?

Daffy

I’ve used XTR M9020 callipers with my R785 levers. They work perfectly.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you replaced it with an XT calliper you would need to replace the hose too. The 785 calliper has a straight connection, the XT a banjo connection.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Replace the entire hose or just the connection?

Mister-P
    Free Member

The connectors are crimped onto the hoses so it’s a new hose.

Daffy

You can swap the position of the bleed nipple/hose input simply by unscrewing and swapping them over.

duir
    Free Member

Is it definitely the caliper leaking and not just the hose connection? If caliper is ok just buy new hose or buy goodridge hoses. I got pig sick of leaking shimano brakes so splashed out on goodridge and the problem went away. Sadly the goodridge hoses do not address the huge amount of lever throw shimano have but otherwise correct several faults by using screw in great quality stainless steel fittings.

PJay
    Free Member

CRC have several models of Deore caliper where the hose connects directly to the caliper. You’d should just need a new barb and olive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Leaky RS785 caliper, options?’ is closed to new replies.