Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Leaky rim
  • delux
    Free Member

Trying to convert to tubeless on my almost brand new Canyon Spectral 7.0 – SRAM Roam 30 rim with a Minion semi slick TR. I can get the tyre to seat with a moderate amount of sweating and swearing, but at about 30psi, it starts to leak badly at the rim weld.

It is leaking at the interface between the tyre and the rim, but also along the entire length of the weld – either Canyon or SRAM have stuck a bit of tape over the weld on the external side, and it’s bulging from the air leak underneath.

Any recommendations? I haven’t tried the usual solution of just going for a ride, but I reckon I’d only get 50 yards before it is completely flat.

oldnpastit

Have you tried shaking it with sealant inside?

It sounds a bit as though the tape on the inside is not sealed properly; whenever that happens to me I end up having to take the whole thing apart and start over 🙁

delux
    Free Member

Yeah, done plenty of shaking.

Thinking about it a bit since I posted, I think the issue must be the “sidewall” of the rim at the weld join, and it’s probably just finding its way under the exterior tape to give the impression that it is leaking along the whole weld. However… the sidewall isn’t covered by the interior rim tape, so I don’t think re taping it will help. Can I just stick a tiny bit of duck tape over the interior sidewall join?

thejesmonddingo

Take the tape off and have a good look,with good luck,it won’t look like this
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rim-splitis-it-safe

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I had this with Superstar Tactic rim. I think I ended up using a bit extra tape to cover up the sidewall at the weld (pinned join on those, I think) on the inside….and plenty of sealant shaking.

Going tubeless is worth the pain, mess and faffing in my opinion. Stick at it!

kayak23

Got any silicone sealant? Wipe a bit into the weld and leave overnight to cure.
    Might last longer and seal better than the Stans.

zerocool

Ghetto tubeles a la Jared Graves.

STATO
    Free Member

With pinned rims the rim-tape needs to cover the entire inner width right into the shoulder of the rim. That way the tyre is always sat on the rim tape so no sealant/air should get to the rim to leak out.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t say how many wraps you did?

I always use two because I kept getting leaks. Come to think of it, that was with pinned rims.

delux
    Free Member

Update, following a good deal more swearing and some research I should have done at the start…

It turns out that Roam 30 rims are sleeved, not welded. In my defence, it is hard to tell due to the external tape mentioned earlier. They are therefore not UST certified, apparently.

I’ve tried more layers of tape, including the inside shoulder as suggested, but it’s still getting through somehow.

What is the ghetto method? 24″ inner tube over the rim tape?

nixie

Had this with the alpkit wheels. It stopped after a while (sealant did is job). Used one wrap of gorilla tape.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Leaky rim’ is closed to new replies.