Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Leaky Pikes – known problem?
  • milky1980
    Free Member

I did a lowers service on my Pikes a few days ago and took them for a quick local spin to check everything was good. No signs of oil loss and working perfectly.

Did a day at BPW today and when returning to the car noticed that the lowers round the bolts were covered in oil! Did a quick check of the nuts and all was tight. Got home and whipped the lowers off to find all the oil had gone from both sides, checked the nut seals and crush nuts, all looked good.

They’re going back to the shop I purchased them from for a warranty jobbie tomorrow, no riding for a while by the looks of it 😡

Anyone else had any problems with the lowers leaking? I know the magnesium alloy is quite soft, easy to crack perhaps?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Did you use new crush washers and torque them correctly?

milky1980
    Free Member

Yep, torque wrench (newish) and new bits. First thing I checked.

sq225917
    Free Member

I admire your optimism. You think the bike shop will warranty a pair of forks you took to bits and put back together incorrectly? Which shop is it I’ll buy my next bike them…

rickon
    Free Member

Damaged crush washers. Probably over torqued, they need very little torque to do them up. Send me your address and ill post you some for the price of a stamp.

Forget the torque wrench in this case, when you feel pressure then stop tightening. Its easy to.go too far, and i find my torque wench would destroy foot nuts or crush washers.

Just to check, youve not sheared any of the meta from the foot nuts?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Leaky Pikes – known problem?’ is closed to new replies.