Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Leaky boiler, any plumbers in the house?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I think that our combi-boiler might be leaky, but if it is it's not much. We've noticed a small amount of water pooling beneath our combi-boiler. It's a small amount (maybe a saucer full or two), yesterday was the first time we noticed it all winter.

There's no obvious leak but there is a small drop that appears to form around a hole in the pressed steel underside (it might be an unused screw hole) which eventually drops to the floor. It's very slow to form and I think is only forming when the boiler is on (could it be condensation as the pipes heat up in a relatively cold cupboard?).

The water pressure does seem slightly lower than at the start of the winder. Is this a job for a plumber (I'm not going to fiddle myself)?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Nowt urgent, but it'll need seeing too

Smudger666

get a plumber – i had same thing in the autumn….nothing diy in a combi boiler unless you know what you are doing, and if you are here asking, I would suggest restraining your natural 'lets have a look' tendencies 🙂

spotted you said you wouldnt fiddle….good move!

p.s. wont be condensation.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Could be worse. I've just had a phone call from my neighbour to tell me that my house is flooded. And I'm 500 miles away. And no plumbers are answering the phones. Arse. Christmas break cut short by a week, 500 mile drive home tonight. Happy days.

BigJohn

GreatApe – try giving your local police a call. They sometimes have a number of local emergency tradespeople who will do a call-out. I think its called "Boing". Alternatively call your insurance. They may get assistance.

BigJohn

PJay – can't Duncan go round and fix it?

thegreatape
    Free Member

try giving your local police a call

Funnily enough, that's me. I managed to get one in the end. Leak is now stopped. Insurance company can't do anything until we're back to see how bad it is. I guess worse things can happen eh.

BigJohn

Well it's happened now, so going back early isn't going to make it better. Stay where you are and enjoy yourself.

PJay
    Free Member

So, is our boiler safe to use whilst we sort someone out to come and have a look? I suspect that it might be a simple case of the frost cracking something.

Smudger666

hard to say to be honest..

so long as there is no smell of gas when it is running, and the flame (if yours has a sight window) is burning blue and it isnt making any noises different to normal, i'd say use it, but get a plumber to look at it sooner rather than later – last thing you want is for it to go tits up on thurdsday night!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Leaky boiler, any plumbers in the house?’ is closed to new replies.