Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Leaking window – any advice?
  • magowen100
    Free Member

I’ve got a leaking window I need to seal and seeing as STW is the fountain of all knowledge…
    It’s a double glazing unit that seems to be leaking from the seal (gasket?) where the window itself presses against the seal on the frame. The foam strip around the frame which the bubble seal presses against is sodden and the leak occurs in really wet storms (like the last couple of days). I think the seal in the frame lets water through which drips through in one corner between the frame and window.
    I’ve tried google etc. but I’m not sure of the terminology and leaking double glazing just brings up loads about condensation in the units themselves not the ‘window’.
    Hope I make sense to someone and thanks in advance for any help! 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

Its either the external gasket letting water in or maybe even a weld on the frame. How old are they?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You should be easily able to prise off the plastic beading around the frame (usually on the inside now I think) to expose the DG unit itself. These are *normally* glued into place for security but you could try removing the cir clips and taking it out so you can reseal it properly. If you cannot (which I would expect to be the case if fitted correctly) DON’T try to remove it or you will break the unit. But you could try resealing between the frame and the DG unit with silicon sealant then refit the beading when it is dry.

piha
    Free Member

Has this always happened? Is it a plastic window? How old are they?

The window system sounds like it is getting overwhelmed by the amount of water it has to deal with and the gasket between the frame and sash isn’t as good as it could be, hence water ingress. Any water that hits this gasket should travel along the gasket and drain out of the bottom of the window and not through the gasket. Check to make sure the frame and sash firmly compress the gasket. If it doesn’t make sure the frame isn’t in wind ie out of plumb. If the frame is in wind you could try to adjust the sash or try to source a bigger gasket. You could try to fit a small drip to the top of the window to help deflect the water away from the window.

HTH.

magowen100
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys – the water leaks in from one corner of the window and is exposed to some savage winds as I live on a high hill by the sea.
    The gasket is a welded jobby so I don’t think its removable but my instinct says that’s the problem.
    I’m not sure how old the windows are – we’ve only just bought the place but it was empty for a long time before we moved in. At a guess I’d say 3-5 years old but as I’ve said SW facing and very exposed.

chickenman

An inward opening window will always let water into the channels at the bottom of the frame. From there it is supposed to drain to the outside by 2 small slots: Are these blocked? Or filled in with silicon by some numpty?
    As has been suggested, a drip (a filet of wood/plastic fixed to the sash just above where it touches the bottom of the frame) would help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Leaking window – any advice?’ is closed to new replies.