Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Leaking garage roof
  • jamiea
    Free Member

Our garage is in a block of 4 and the roof, which appears to be made from corrugated asbestos sheet, has seen better days. I’m thinking of overlaying with some corrugated PVC sheet and sticking it down with some sort of mastic, minimising the risk of disturbing the asbestos. Any other ideas?

Cheers,
    Jamie

towzer

sorry, who owns the block/garage – as if it’s not you that could add complications and I’d strongly suggest not touching it (I assure you it was fine till X stood on it m’lud then all the garages started leaking), otherwise are you on good terms with other neighbours and have you got their agreement – where I’m going is if you do something and they don’t like it or they are r-soles and they already had leaks they might just become your fault.
    (*posted as someone who has experienced sh1tw!t neigbours)

can you hang a sheet of plastic inside so that it drains to the door inside ? (or out of some gap) or divert drips etc into a tank that you can empty every so often or even put the sheeting beneath the roof suitably angled etc

z1ppy

My issue with this, is that if it is decided to re-roof the whole lot (or even just yours), it potentially going to make it a nightmare to remove it & the original sheets without breakage. These sheets are pretty inert, they can be removed by a non-professional if bagged up correctly, unless broken… so not a great idea in my book.

jamiea
    Free Member

Ok, see the pitfalls. How’s about plugging the gap where the two sheets overlap on the inside with some sort of waterproof expanding foam?

Cheers,
    Jamie

z1ppy

I got a small light friend to paint tar (or something similar) over the top seal and I mastic’d the inside. Which might go against what i said above, but was the lesser evil in my book

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Leaking garage roof’ is closed to new replies.