Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Leaf Blowers
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend one that won’t break the bank? Budget up to about £80.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Use a rake or a brush?

vorlich
    Free Member

Use a rake or a brush?

Very good. It’s a present for my dad, who is getting on in years and had a hip replacement last year. Personally, I just let them decompose in the garden…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a Flymo one that is OK. However, it is the only Flymo product that I have owned that hasn’t expired after not very much use.

vorlich
    Free Member

Actually, I’ve seen a Bosch for £70 with decent reviews, never had any issues with Bosch stuff in the past. Will probably just go for that…

organic355
    Free Member

they are a pain in the arse.

I had a HOMELITE pertrol one from B&Q, was SOOOooooo noisy and just blew the leaves all over the place, in reversse it just sucked up EVERYTHING in its path whereas its supposed to leave stones etc.

Sold it on Gumtree and now just let the leaves do there mushiness until spring and collect them then once they have dried out.

Harry_the_Spider

The Flymo blow and sucks, so you chase them into a corner then Hoover them up and empty the bag into the compost bin or over next door’s fence.

trail_rat
    Free Member

organic

there is a technique to it – not just point and blow.

We had a stihl backpack one and an echo hand held one.

Both dod the job well – we only ever blew them into a corner then raked them up.

I really want one for the house now for sorting out after hedge cutting and the like as it makes the job so much quicker

br
    Free Member

I’ve one, barely use at it.

It seemed a good idea at the time, but unless you suck them all up it achieves nothing. And if he’s just a new hip I’d steer clear, as they are also quite hard work (physical/twisting etc).

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Wait for a big wind, does what nature intended, and seriously what is the problem with leaves ?

I’ve watched some people with these things— reminds me of blazing saddles border post…….

deano8
    Free Member

Rudebwoy, it ruins your grass if you leafve them:) but then so are my kids now so I don’t bother anymore.

Vorlich, a decent rake and those large plastic glove hand rake for picking them up is far quicker unless you have a huge garden 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s a present for my dad, who is getting on in years and had a hip replacement last year.

In that case I wouldn’t get him a leaf blower. They are pretty heavy and harder and more physical to use than a rake or brush. Ours has a shoulder strap, it’s too heavy to carry about and use.

I’d have thought pottering about with a brush would be ideal physio, too 🙂

rudebwoy
    Free Member

i suppose this british obsession with lawns is half the problem, in france they think its odd not to grow veg there.

a big plastic rake is hours of fun 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

in france they think its odd not to grow veg there.

The French think a lot of things, for instance, they think they can make cars….
    😉

nasher
    Free Member

stihl br600….maybe a bit pricy for you though…does a great job of clearing stones, twigs and leaves off our trails

jd-boy
    Free Member

Ryobi are cheep blowers, about £65/70 I purchased mine on the back of running 3 Ryobi strimmers that were only £80 and took loads of abuse strimming trails for events, heads went in the end. so now have Echo strimmers. got an Oleo-Mac Blower but it seldem gets used for blowing leafs, used for blowing down the mower and the baler in the summer. its quit, light and vibration free, and starts first pull but it was £230. deffo be easier to use than a brush or rake.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have a big rucsac style Stihl blower that I bought from a council dispersal sale. Its really powerful. I find it easier if the leaves are slightly damp, when they are dry and it’s windy they fly everywhere. Blowing them onto a big tarp makes collection easier, but it then becomes a two person job.

We have a lot of lawn and a long drive, if the leaves are left on the lawn they kill the grass, if left on the drive they are ground down to a messy sludge.

I don’t know how efficient a smaller blower would be for a small area, perhaps a rake is the way to go.

crikey
    Free Member

The French think a lot of things, for instance, they think they can make cars….

Mmmm… I’m sure they’re worried about all those English cars saturating the market.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Leaf Blowers’ is closed to new replies.